The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lindell Audio DACX

Lindell Audio DACX

3.5 3.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

A very well built "snappy" dac.

8th May 2014

Lindell Audio DACX by DominicWyeth

• Sound Quality 3 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.5
Lindell Audio DACX

Upon opening the box the first thing I noticed was the remote. it weighed a ton and felt really good. I could literally take this thing and beat an audiophile about the head when they started to talk about “pure silver lined gold” cables or some such garbage.

I thought that if they whole thing was as well made as the remote than it’s off to a good start…and I was not disappointed. It’s sturdy, elegant and simple. The front panel is clear and easy to see (even from a distance). The back is simple and clearly labelled…one small thing I did notice was there was no locking mechanism on the XLR’s (not really a big deal) but thought I should mention this.

So first things first what was I doing and how.

Samplitude Pro X
Benchmark Dac1
Cranesong Hedd 192
Tyler acoustic d1s
Crookwood m3 console

I started by doing just a plain and simple hot swap from the benchmark to the dacx and back again. The benchmark has been my main d/a for some time and know it quite well.

The Lindell was good. It had a solid bottom end but not quite as detailed as I was expecting it to be…..and then I saw the output button. I didn’t read the manual when I first started so I had no real idea how this thing worked…I just wanted to dive on in and go for it.

Turns out you can turn the tube on/off and you can switch from tube out to opa out. At first I wondered why but I think maybe it's to save on having a tube on when you are not using it so I suppose it made sense.

As soon as i switched from the tube stage to the opa stage things made a lot more sense. a lot more detail and the bottom end was good. The crack of snare and the transient was amazing. really really good.

I started to play around with up sampling options…but I just didn’t see the point, why would I want to upsample…why not just let it chase what was coming in to digital in? I still have not figured out why I want to upsample and I didn’t end up doing this.

As far as the dac goes I could defiantly live with it…the benchmark dac and the lindell dacx stood side by side quite well.

the I decided to do some shoot outs from a recording point of view. the cranesong hedd is may main d/a->a/d for my record path so I substituted the lindell in and did some recording.

The tube stage is not my thing…..I just could not get anything to sound right through the tube stage. The ops stage however had great transient response. at times better than the cranesong. but it lacked dimension. The cranesong had better depth perception. I think if I was doing a lot of up front in your face rock the lindell would work really well….but don’t let me words get in the way, have a listen to the audio.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ox08pofom...ll%20audio.zip

As you can see the tube stage (while not being useless) just didnt work for me. Keep in mind however I am a mastering engineer so I have a very different audio perspective and audio goals than most engineers/listeners.

WRAP UP

Thanks to cris from Home - Federal Audio for the loan.
it’s well made, has some interesting features and has a good sound to it. will it stay in my setup…for the price point no. If I had money to burn I would keep it just because of the way it reacted to drum snap…I could compensate for the bottom end differences with EQ..but I’m not sure it would ever get back the lack of depth.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Lindell Audio DACX
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search