The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TASCAM UH-7000

TASCAM UH-7000

3.75 3.75 out of 5, based on 6 Reviews

High Resolution USB Interface and Stand Alone Microphone Preamp.

30th April 2014

TASCAM UH-7000 by sm5

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.25
TASCAM UH-7000

This is an updated review:
After owning it for a while my original enthusiastic review needs to be revised:
After selling my old Lynx Hilo for this thinking it sounded pretty close I started noticing my ears started hurting and getting fatigued very easily which never happened before (some other cheaper interfaces it happened to me like a focusrite pro 24)… I switched nothing but the interface … The headphones and monitors I have are the same. Another problem is that I had many more driver problems than I used to have … so I figured I’d go back to the Hilo … and after switching back for the last half year I have to say it was the best switch back I’ve made. My ears don’t fatigue anymore and I rarely if ever have driver problems.
Another HUGE problem I didn’t test out enough originally was using the preamps standalone via AES … They never seemed to work into my Hilo! Even if I used a AES XLR to SPDIF RCA adaptors they never worked and to change the setting I needed to have it connected to the computer … which messes things up having two interfaces plugged in via usb. So don’t buy it if you are planning on using this to use it as a simple Preamp/digital converter to add on two extra preamps. It’s like maybe you can find a way for it to work or the software has or will be changed but I wouldn’t count on it.
From when I bought it … and selling it: It lost half its value which is also not great (as comparison the 2nd Hilo I bought was about the same price as the one I sold.

In conclusion:
Overall just the functional design of this prevents it from being a standalone preamp as it’s stuck with the AD converter connected. It also prevents it from being a standalone Converter as the preamp is always connected! The driver problems and the difficulty of getting the AES out to work properly means that it doesn’t even work as an add-on preamp/AD converter for another interface so it pretty much means unless you’re planning to use it alone – as a all-in-one system – then it’s probably a bad purchase. If you're looking at simple 2in 2 out interface and don’t have preamps already and can get it used for a reasonable price (so you don’t lose lots of value buying it new) It’s a pretty good sounding interface. I still think it’s one of the best sounding preamps and converters I’ve had out of the many I have had. The preamps ARE very clean: similar to a Grace M101/etc. The AD converter is pretty decent too. I did like the DA a lot initially so I honestly can’t say it’s terrible … but the fact my ears fatigued much easier is a big negative personally. (I’m listening on HD800’s/q701’s/K271’s/Equator Q10’s.)

So for a low-medium budget interface – If it fits your needs: I’d say it’s a good purchase at used prices. This probably sounds better than higher priced 8in/8out interfaces quality-wise and has probably the same reliability of drivers of other low-cost interfaces … but for me: I’m willing to pay more for much more stability and options and #1 not having ear fatigue.

11th March 2015

TASCAM UH-7000 by arsenik

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 2 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.5
TASCAM UH-7000

I bought this as an upgrade from an M-Audio Fast Track C600 USB interface. I have attempted to use it for a over a week, and while after some muddling through the drivers and software, I got it to work, but not as I was wanting. The FastTrack would track all the way down to 128 samples in Pro Tools (usually bumped to 256 for mixing purposes) I was expecting this to do 128 for mixing and maybe 64 for recording, but it starts cracking and going to a less than 8 bit sound at anything under 512. I run all my sessions for the time being at 24 bit/44.1 kHz (was planning with this to maybe go to 96, but hadn't just yet).

It sounded great, the pres were clean and had a BUNCH of gain. No question. The outputs also ran with healthy output with a headphone output that drove my Sennheiser HD280's with ease. The inputs sounded great with the new Rode NT1 (Black).

Tascam support failed me miserably however, as I couldn't get their email support to respond, and their social accounts garnered no response either. So that coupled with the higher than wanted latency, I have decided to return it and get an RME Babyface.

Tascam, I know you're not reading this (because face it..you probably didn't read the email nor tweet I sent out) but step the game up support wise as it really has left a bad taste in my mouth. I have worked in customer service type jobs for close to 10 years and when customer service lacks, I take issue with it.

Tascam UH-7000 Pro Tools Issues

Is where I reached out to a forum to help with trying to get it fixed and I seemingly was not the only one with issues.

So for the interface, I'd give it a 5* sound quality wise, drivers 0* and Tascam support -500*.

13th July 2015

TASCAM UH-7000 by soundknight21

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 1 out of 5
  • Overall: 2.75
TASCAM UH-7000

I bought this a year ago at premium price $800AUD now its 500$!
I used it to record my solo Album 'Serenata'.
I bought it because it looked simple and was touted as a very clean preamp with good amounts of gain right up to the last 10% of the gain knob which was ideal for my needs.

Sound
Recording:
This is very subjective so truthfully I can only say I am happy with this device and the job it has done. The DA and AD converted the signal nicely capturing and conveying good detail through the headphone out put. Because I only have an unbalanced tube stereo (Eric McChanson MarzE KT88) I have been using the headphone output phono to mix and EQ. When I took my recordings to a local legend who mixes Skinnyfish stuff (Matt Cunliff) he used his Very nice setup and we played back my recording against some famous classical guitar CDs all at 44.1 / 16 bit and mine came second in quality.
1 Wulfin Lieske Arabesque Disc
2 Mine
3 Naxos 'Cavatina' (close second - personal preference of course)
4 John Williams Venezuelan album
So the Tascam did its job and did it admirably.
The sound you could say is clear and has beautiful air to the top and a rich detail in the low mids - perfect for guitar.

PA Interface Mixer:
I did use the balanced XLR outputs (mains) at a gig where the tascam was my PA desk with my computer and I had the best sound I have ever had in a live set up (AT4081 ribbon mic - tascam - computer [tascam software EQ and reverb] - tascam main outs - Mogami Gold XLR cables - RCF 310A powered speakers). Jaw dropping sound, the audience loved it too (they told me).

Home Stereo DAC / phones
As I said above my stereo is tube unbalanced so Ive been driving it out of the headphone port which I suspect will never be as good as balanced lines but it has made a hell of a difference in transferring detail from my computer to the stereo.

ALL this an I haven't even experimented with the AESBU junk yet!

Software
The software is a good start but its always annoying when the possibilities are shut down by the SW engineers. For example, you can't run any more than 1 effect at a time (though you can run reverb). The effects are minimal and digital in style of course but sound fairly smooth. I didnt do any effect work on my CD from the tascam as that might be silly for a professional sound (but OK for YT videos and things) but when I used the effect live (EQ & reverb) it sounded absolutely marvellous - made me feel like a bit of a smart-ass actually (in a good way). Imagine if they allowed you to run all effects at once, that would be a treat, they could also sell extra software packages for the device like premium EQ and enhancers. (I'd buy it).

I used it with latest Reaper DAW and had it mastered with protools.

Hardware
I agree with the comment in prev. post about the knob as I too would prefer clicks to match gain correctly. The knob feels like a quality japanese one so I not worried about it but they do have a plastic feel which is a bit of a turd to swallow after paying $800.
The cable connectors feel and look good but sometimes the xlr on the mains doesn't want to let go of the cable :(
The box feels smooth and sturdy but it ain't made by HumVee thats for sure.
I guess overall it feels like fine premium plastic
BTW the led indicatrs for gain are awesomly big and easy to see, something that made my solo recording engineer and performer experience a lot easier.

Applications
Well it has a variety of apps as mentioned above. I can only imagine what it would be like if tascam made a 4 or 8 channel version, that would be nice but I guess the sums would have to add up too.

One annoying feature for me is the lack of a preamp out and DAC in so you can mate it with other gear or link it to other analog gear for sound changes, I would like the ability to put a tube preamp in front of its DAC, indeed Tascam could make one designed for it so customers get a dual channe very clean and detailed Preamp / DAC and can alter the pre stage for when they want that altered sound but still to keep the detailed DAC - BTW I read that the DAC is basically the same thing as a cheaper Tascam DAC EMU or something - you may want to look into that...

Look up my name online if you want to hear the sound of my finished recordings (bear in mind protools made the lowmid and mid mid range more prominent with plugins but you will get the idea) just look up briancullen.net.au to find my website
Cheers.

13th October 2015

TASCAM UH-7000 by dyavuz

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
TASCAM UH-7000

I've decided to buy the tascam after having some reliability issues with my Audient Mico-ID22 combination.
And I'm very glad I bought it.

It's a very well-built device, the software is easy to use. The preamps are definitely a step-up from the Audient ones. Very very low noise floor. The latency is not as good but I can live with it.

The sound is very full, thick and transient response is really awesome. Frequency response is super-flat.
It has the best headphone amp I've ever heard.
It's not perfect regarding inputs outputs and so on, but soundwise, it definitely rocks.

Great preamps. Would recommend it to anyone who can live with one pair of stereo outputs.

25th August 2016

TASCAM UH-7000 by thefyn

• Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
TASCAM UH-7000

Only issue I have is monitoring is via software. If only that was onboard for a quick adjustment.

The interface is pretty clunky. But once you get past that it's a winner.

I'm using all 4 inputs. Two with an AES converter.

Sound is the most important. Especially the pres. They beat out 5 others I ab'd it with. Including the RME babyface which was closest but the tascam sounded better.

If you already have preamps then perhaps this isn't for you. If not it's a no brainer.

30th September 2018

TASCAM UH-7000 by MARLOS

• Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
TASCAM UH-7000

I’ve had the unit since it’s release. The UH7000 has always sounded great and initially helped me with the decision to sell my Apogee Rosetta 200 and FireWire card setup, but the performance when playing vsti’s was less than desired. After trying all of the available sample rates, and buffer settings I simply put it to the side(didn’t trash).
I soon after tried UAD apollo twin(stable, but just okay unless a Burl Audio Bomber ADC is connected), Audient id22(sounded cleanly shrill), Apogee duet(liked alright), steinberg ur28m(liked okay), etc. but never got the professional studio sound that the Tascam gave. I asked a Tascam representative last year at NAMM would they ever upgrade the drivers of the unit for better performance, and the answer was something that equaled No!
Fast Forward to the 3rd quarter of 2018, I bought an older RME HDSP 9652 PCI interface. I connected my UH7000 AES to it’s spdif using a Hosa CDL313(spdif/aes converter) between and Boom! I now have the stability, lowest of latencies, and RME’s Totalmix, plus the UH7000’s AD/DA(sound). I’ve been trying to incorporate this unit into my setup for a while now, thankfully I kept questing after the right combinations!
Considering my 15+ years around recording studios of all budgets and sizes, I’ll go as far to say if your input/output needs are minimal you’d be hard pressed to find a more stable or better sounding solution for the money!
This will surely now be a GearSlutz “Classic” for the LowEnd Theory community!

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... TASCAM UH-7000
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search