The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
BAE 10DC

BAE Audio 10DC Compressor/Limiter Pair with PSU

4.65 4.65 out of 5, based on 3 Reviews

A great take on classic Neve compressors.

29th April 2014

BAE Audio 10DC Compressor/Limiter Pair with PSU by Nu-tra

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
BAE 10DC

I've had the BAE 10DC for a while now and I wanted to praise it here on gearslutz. The transformer coupled Class A design has an overall sound that is smooth and musical. It is my favorite vocal compressor- even better than my vintage 1176 and Distressors. The threshold has an enhanced level range for digital tracking/mixing unlike older Neve compressors. The 10DC has stepped switches for every control! The limiter and compressor are on independent circuits so you can use the sections individually or together. The 10DC runs on a separate power supply that can power two units. The 10DC is built like a tank and is easy to use! Such a pro studio piece for not so much money compared to a lot of classic and re-issue compressors out there that aren't made as well.

26th January 2016

BAE Audio 10DC Compressor/Limiter Pair with PSU by DiodeBridge

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
BAE 10DC

After a long search for a replacement to a well-known bus compressor, I found myself drawn to the Neve diode-bridge sound. I'd say the 10DC falls somewhere in between the dense thickness of Neve 2254 and several more modern takes on diode-bridge design. The flavor is warm and full spectrum. On the two-bus, they add body, setting the peaks organically into a sound that to my ears, blooms from within. Wonderful roundness. Experience with other compressors has lead me to avoid much processing on tracking, but 10DC surprised me by being great on bass, guitars and even vox. Subtle, but undeniably sweeter tones in many cases. I've had the units for about 6 months, but haven't found the limiter section intuitive or all that useful. Also, I find adjustments of attack and ratio relatively subtle in their effect on the compression. Just a great sound, but not super tweakable. As someone who prefers a minimum of outboard, the 10DCs earn their keep all the time.

28th December 2019

BAE Audio 10DC Compressor/Limiter Pair with PSU by tze019

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
BAE 10DC

I'll make no bones about it, I LOVE these things. Gush over.

There are a few points I want to make about the 10DC, and they are as follows;

Diode Bridge compressors are the "tone box" compressor I've always wanted but didn't know until I got my first one. There's something about the distortion introduced and the resulting shift in tone that is just pleasing. I just didn't know I would love it so much...

The 10DC in particular has this tone shift, and regardless of how hard I push the compressor section, I've yet to find something that doesn't sound better with even just a tiny bit of gain reduction. I've over compressed a singer and his acoustic through the pair I have and it sounds amazing. Full and lush. I've run vocal busses through it and it thickens and focuses the vocals in the mix. Can kill or exaggerate transients on individual drums and add wonderful thickness at the same time. Electric guitar sounds wonderful when used subtly. Can do anything you want to a mono or stereo piano.

But now we come to the flaw. The ONE flaw... I wish the 10DC had the side chain filter available in the newer version. I'm not a fan of obvious pumping, and that can become REALLY apparent on drum busses or the 2 buss if you're not really careful, or structure your mix to be a little low end light before digging in with the 10DC. And that's become my work around. I'll follow the compressor with a Pultec style EQ and all that low end juiciness comes back in spades!

So I love this thing. Despite the lack of SideChain, I want to use this compressor on everything. I'll find ways to make it work, because it's a box full of goodness.

The limiter section is super nice too. Subtlety is the key here though, because it's not clean in any way, but carving off the tops of transients is really nice if you don't push too hard. In fact, I wish I had access to the limiter section independently, because I would use it in nice little places all over my mix... again, just subtly.

Now, I don't like the price, but I do feel I got amazing value. Especially buying on the used market. And if money wasn't a factor, I would likely have a rack full of these beasts and use them on so many tracks.

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search