The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Altec 9062A passive graphic equalizer

Altec Lansing 9062A passive graphic equalizer

4.75 4.75 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

An extremely musical vintage passive graphic equalizer

28th April 2014

Altec Lansing 9062A passive graphic equalizer by John Eppstein

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75

This is one of the great vintage passive equalizers. It is the basic unit that the legendary Motown mastering EQ was derived from according to Bob Ohlson. This is also the same device marketed by the original Langevin company as the Model 251 EQ.

It is a very simple unit, incorporating seven linear switch controls at 1.5 octave centers. Each band allows +/- 8 dB of control, and bands are interactive, giving very smooth curves for 2-buss and mastering applications. the massive linear switches give an exact 1dB of gain change per position, making it ideal for mastering. Since it is a totally passive device it requires an external preamp to make up the 16 dB insertion loss. Any quality stereo mic pre will suffice.

Action is very subtle and extremely musical. As cut and boost is only 8dB/octave you won't notice any extreme changes. That's not what it's for. Using it on the 2 buss in a mix it can enhance the presence and brightness without exaggerating the obnoxious qualities of a sibilant vocal. It's really quite magical.

Build quality is unbelievable. Military tanks are not built as strongly as this. You really have to see one to believe it.

Each EQ band is a separate module connected to a backplane with extremely beefy gold clad connectors. The inductor coils in each module (2 each) weigh several ounces each - these are all highest quality air core inductors, no crappy ferrite or iron core inductors here.

The improvement these have provided to my 2-buss cannot be overstated. If you have a chance to pick up a pair do not hesitate.

9th May 2014

Altec Lansing 9062A passive graphic equalizer by Grandma

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75

I was lucky enough to acquire one of these in a trade a year ago or so, but mine is the Langevin version (252A), but I am in full agreement with the above review. This thing sounds incredible - so much so that when I saw another one offered, I grabbed it as soon as I could. I haven't tried it on the buss yet, but it does wonders on Vocals and Snare drum, and obviously, because it is passive, you can change up the flavor by using different pres for gain make up. My faves so far are Telefunken V72 for tube vintage, Neve 1272 for solid state, and Atlas juggernaut for modern. The little versions of this circuit - 2 band, with fewer frequencies (Altec 9061/Langevin 251) also sound great - 40/100 on the bottom, and 3/7/10/15 on top (although some models have 1.5/3/7/10 on the top - I have one of each....) - Very worthwhile, if somewhat limited, pieces with a ton of character!

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Altec 9062A passive graphic equalizer
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search