The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ross Martin Superbeast DA

Ross Martin Audio Superbeast DA

4.75 4.75 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Great sound, took a while, price is right!

6th April 2014

Ross Martin Audio Superbeast DA by drbob1

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75

First off, this is a great sounding DA convertor. I've used the built in convertors with my iMac, an Apogee Duet and a Tascam iUR2 with this system and no question the Superbeast sounds better than any of them. The bass has more authority, the treble goes a bit further and it just sounds good.

It has to be said that it took a LONG time-4 1/2 months from the time I ordered till it arrived. Ross was good about keeping me up to date when I emailed, but it was a lot longer than the 2 months quoted. Plan on being patient!

The build quality is a bit strange-nice hammerite front panel, nicely bent aluminum chassis, but the bezel on the front obscures some of the writing a bit. Nothing that matters but perhaps a reflection of the cost. It is class compliant, so basically I plugged it in, set the output device in the iMac control panel and I was done! No drama and no problems. It's noticeably louder in output than anything else I've used, just turned things down a little to fit what I wanted. I've got enough connections, balanced and unbalanced and lots of digital ones.

Not much else to say, I'm not one with Golden Ears, so I'll leave it to the more experienced to say where it falls on the spectrum of DAs available, but to my ears it's easily worth a couple of times what Ross charges for this quality! I'm a happy camper.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Ross Martin Superbeast DA
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search