The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rupert Neve Designs 5060 Cencterpiece

Rupert Neve Designs 5060 Centerpiece

5 5 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

RND's summing mixer, monitor control, daw transport control.

5th April 2014

Rupert Neve Designs 5060 Centerpiece by alvarodrigo

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

First of all, please excuse my English. It's not my mother language, and this could be a bit of a problem when it comes to reviewing any piece of hardware.

We've had our 5060 for a few months now, used mainly for mastering and mixing applications.

Last September we were looking for a summing mixer with insert points, and were considering the SPL Mix Dream for this purpose, as well as some Dangerous Music units. We were also looking for a nice monitor controller for A/B comparisons, and there were many options available, but there was no way we could get our hands on any piece of gear to try them out.

Being adviced by sales engineer Jorge Fernandez, he said: "..have you seen the 5060 CP already? It's soon to be launched, and I'd guess you'll find it suitable for your needs.. It's got it all, and perhaps a bit more."

After reading about its features, I was able to accept the price tag. I would take a lot of time comparing features between many pieces of high end gear, as well as having second thoughts about getting the first of a new sieres of hardware (we got serial 0011), but we finally decided to get the unit that gathered everything within one piece of gear.

Size, feel, sound, ease of use: they did a great job building this thing. As a monitor controller I couldn't ask for anything else. I switch between sources with ease and with a smooth, quiet and even response. The dim controller helps keeping comparisons at same perceived loudness.

I keep a reference track on EXT.1, then my source original file on EXT.2, and my processed monitor at EXT.3 - I just "jump" between them for A/B/C comparisons.

I use focal twin 6be as my main monitoring system (MON1), and one mixcube as a second reference in true mono (MON2-mono engaged). Right now I use MON3 for monitoring in a different room.

This thing is noiseless and perfect, and soundwise it's an absolute delight to get everything through it and engage some ammount of silk red on the whole mix. It is a summing mixer, and for us its real purpose is defining our workflow. Everything revolves around it, and its a safe feeling. Reliable.

There's nothing bad I could say about it, really. Our setup is simple: Orion32 AD/DA (24ch on Mac/usb) - Switchcraft patchbay - 5060 Centerpiece. Once you read about what this mixer has to offer, and think of how you can work with it, then it's a no brainer. You get exactly what RND announces. Just take a look at the I-O ports/jacks and the mixer's layout. DAW-Analog heaven.

Transport control works with pro tools with no trouble. It's scary to think about something this well engineered and planned.

I did this review as a happy costumer, so there you go. Final verdict: satisfied over my expectations.

Cheers,

Alvaro R.

8th January 2018

Rupert Neve Designs 5060 Centerpiece by filboid

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

If you are an audio engineer, producer, musician or remotely knowledgeable about music production then you already know the name Neve. You folks can skip this paragraph.

For those of you who don’t, or question buying anything used and designed by Rupert Neve, let me assure you a used Neve console can be as good as a new one! I suppose even in some cases better for that matter. Some of the old consoles have been re-capped and had flying faders installed and are still in service producing some of the best examples of music ever heard anywhere.

Not everyone can afford a large Neve console. But just about everyone wishes that they could in some way, have the budget and the room for such a masterful and re-known Neve mixer. Well, now you can for a fraction of the cost and you will get that Neve sound!

The Rupert Neve Designs 5060 Centerpiece is a “class A” console in a small footprint. The 5060-summing mixer is not only renowned for its construction and design, but most importantly its sonic ability to bring out the very best in any audio you throw at it. The 5060 really shines and is an excellent representation of the legendary reputation Rupert Neve has developed over decades and is respected for throughout the world.

I bought my RND 5060 used but in mint condition. Got a great deal on a dream come true Rupert Neve console. For me, I own a small studio with a modest budget. My facility can’t accommodate a large Neve console like the 5088. I just don't have the room, I wish I did. Maybe someday but that is another story.

I also bought a Neve Shelford Channel, Neve Portico II Channel and a Portico II Master Buss Processor and topped it off with the Neve 5060. Getting the Shelford, Portico's and RND 5060 Centerpiece gave me that Neve sound.
Apologies for the analogy but, think of recording like baking a cake. It is what you make it. It’s your recipe, hopefully you start with good ingredients and you finish with the icing.

I am still recording “In the box” and use the Neve channels to get the analog Neve sound going in on tracks. Matching the Shelford up with a u-87 on voice or a c414 on acoustic and then coming back out summing/mixing on the 5060 gives me that rich creamy frosting for that luscious chocolate cake. Uh huh that’s the rich analog sound I’m talking about!

I really love how you can lean into the 5060 and push the meters and it still delivers that sonic fidelity and wide analog richness without getting that digital clipping or over modulation like mixing in the box can get you.

This isn't an argument about ITB or OTB at least not for me, both have there respective place. I am just glad that I have the best of both worlds now and with a small footprint and budget friendly delivery. The RND 5060 combined with the Portico II Master Buss Processor is tough to beat.

I was lucky enough to have used a Neve 8058 console (Ian Anderson’s of Jethro Toll old 8058) back in the 90's while working at the Dallas Sound Lab. My good friend Russell Whitaker refurbed the console and it was a beauty! My first experience was 8 channels racked with a power supply while the board, channel by channel, was being reworked. I also used an SSL 4072 G+ series so I knew what the big console sound was and how it affected tracking and eventually mixing. I was able to get close doing it all in the box but never had that sonic footprint that I used to get back in the day multitracking with a big console and laying it all down to 2-inch tape. That is until now.

If you’re on a budget, or you don't have the room for a large board this solution will get you that NEVE sound!

The Rupert Neve Designs 5060 Centerpiece is one of the best investments I have ever made in my studio. I couldn’t be happier unless of course I had a complete 24 channel Neve 5088 and who knows that may happen someday.
But for now, at least, I have that sound and that is everything in my opinion.

Thank you, Rupert Neve, for making the 5060 Centerpiece affordable and accessible!!

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Rupert Neve Designs 5060 Cencterpiece
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search