The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lindell Audio 7X-500

Lindell Audio 7X-500

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

A very interesting piece of gear, with a great musical personality and an unbeatable price/quality ratio.

27th October 2013

Lindell Audio 7X-500 by sandreatta

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Lindell Audio 7X-500

This is how the 7X-500 is introduced in the manufacturer's webpage:

The Seven X Five Hundred is a one channel compressor/limiter. It’s a FET (field effect transistor) design that incorporate some new and exclusive features such as ”High Pass Sidechain Filter”, ”Mix Knob” mix between dry and wet signal (parallel compression).

The 7X-500 is our take on the classic ”1176 Sound”. It can be smooth or it can be a rock’n'roll monster when using ratio 100:1 (all in).

Before I bought my first two Lindell 500 modules I made some research here in Gearslutz, and personally with Tobias Lindell, the designer and owner of Lindell Audio.
Since I live in Argentina, and here we don't have the opportunity of try 80% of audio products in the market, I added Tobias to Facebook and he gently answered all of my questions about his products.
So I order two 7X-500 from Sweetwater, I think one of the first dealers selling Lindell products, and waited until they arrived.
I have to say that I wasn't expecting so much power in such a little module. (Ah! I forgot to mention that with 7x-500 I made my first introduction to 500 series)
Well, they came here and my first impression wasn't perfect since the two modules has different green scale faceplates, one is darker than the other one. But then I realized that this is because the first modules were something, like handmade or so. Sonically they are identical.
I understand that the faceplate issue is not more longer happening, because my two PEX-500 (recently purchased units) are identical.
(I think Lindell moved his production to a factory in China)
Lindell Audio 7X-500-dsc_0400.jpg
The rest of the construction is pretty well made, knobs feels fine and runs smoothly and switches are tight and nice.
Probably, I can put a complaint in the IN switch, it seems a little bit cheap, and personally don't like how it acts, but could be just me.
The 20 led Gain reduction meter is excellent and fast enough to react to fast transients, I like that.

Ok, let's talk about how it sounds.
I love them on drums, probably that is what I most use the modules in. The parallel compression and the possibility to use the sidechain filter makes easier the drum buss mixing.
Like I said before, the Side Chain HPF and the mix knob, makes this compressor very versatile, I think the best way to probe this is to hear it.
I'm uploading a bunch of files with different settings to show you how it can work on drums and voices.
I think is a compressor that can be used in a lot of stuff, it has color, but is not a lot, It's not absolute hi end, but it's not low end neither.
Besides the color, it's pretty transparent, and that's a feature that I find nice too, here, we use a very recurrent chain for drum buss mixing: API 5500 -> 7x-500 -> Classic API VP-28 for even more color.
I'd love a stereo link feature. With continuos pots, it gets difficult to achieve stereo balance between units, but it's not impossible.
Costs only $299, it's a no brainer for me, you can pull off a lot of sounds of it, it's extremely useful for drums, bass and rocked up material.
Lindell has placed in our hands and ears a great piece of gear, at an amazing price.
Buy it and enjoy it!

You'll see values like 3.2 on input or output. There's only 3 mid points between setting numbers on the compressor. Example: 1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 2, 2,1 etc...
The tracks I used are the drum buss and vocal buss of a production We mix in the studio a few months ago, they have a little work before the 7x-500 compression.

Audio files:

1 - Drums - Original
Lindell 1.wav

2 - Drums
Lindell 2.wav

Input: 3.2
Output: 5
Attack: FAST
Release - FAST
Compression MIX: All wet
Ratio: 4:1
Side Chain HPF: 300 Hz.

3 - Drums
Lindell 3.wav

Input: 3.2
Output: 6
Attack: FAST
Release - FAST
Compression MIX: All wet
Side Chain HPF: OFF

4 - Drums
Lindell 4.wav

Input: 4
Output: 4.4
Attack: SLOW
Release - FAST
Compression MIX: 50% Dry - 50% Wet
Ratio: 12:1
Side Chain HPF: 100 Hz.

5 - Drums
Lindell 5.wav

Input: 7.2
Output: 2.2
Release - FAST
Compression MIX: 40% Dry - 60% Wet
Ratio: 100:1
Side Chain HPF: 300 Hz.

6 - Voice - Original
Lindell vocal 1.wav

7 - Voice
Lindell vocal 2.wav

Input: 5.2
Output: 4
Release - FAST
Compression MIX: 100% WET

8 - Voice
Lindell vocal 3.wav

Input: 6
Output: 4
Attack: MED
Release - FAST
Compression MIX: 100% WET
Ratio: 12:1

You might find my english a little bit quirky, excuse my horrors!
The demo tracks I used are property of Damian Rovner. Give him a listen!
If you want to publish this review somewhere else, please ask me first!

5th April 2014

Lindell Audio 7X-500 by heysimo

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Lindell Audio 7X-500

The 7x-500 is a FET compressor from Lindell Audio, which presents it as a reproduction of the 1176;
while it might sound quite pretentious for a piece of gear of such a low price range, the 7x-500 definitely has the numbers for being talked about.
It features the traditional input and output knobs, a 3-step control for attack, release and ratio and a HPF, once again 3 step, on the sidechain; last but not least, a knob that goes from completely dry to completely wet, allowing to apply and shape the parallel compression technique.
The 7x-500 is very reactive under every aspect, starting from the GR meter: leds are extremely quick and clear, and feel very accurate to the effect gr applied.
In fact, only a couple dbs are sufficient to hear the compressor work!
“It can be smooth or it can be a rock’n'roll monster when using ratio 100:1 (all in)” is what Lindell says, though I don’t feel it completely true, as the compressor gets in action extremely quickly and also at the lowest ratio (4:1) making it hard to find a gentle compression.
But the real personality, the real color of the compressor come out when pushing a little bit more: highs become more crispy and more pleasant at the same time, resulting excited in a very musical way, while the mids and low-mids become very “glued”.
The side chained HPF filter is a great help in driving the compressor, partly compensating the lack of a non-stepped attack and release selections, getting up to 300Hz.
The overall sound quality is good, but not excellent; the compressor tends to be a little bit noisy, and its aggressivity can limit its usage.
In conclusion, the 7x-500 falls quite far from being a 1176 clone, but turns out being a great piece of gear with extreme personality and while prosumers will benefit from an incredibly convenient price, also professionals might find the 7x-500 the perfect tool for a limited range of applications.

23rd May 2015

Lindell Audio 7X-500 by fredouille

Lindell Audio 7X-500

Hi

on my side it is not so positive

the pots are very low quality.. not oiled based ones...

I go 1 of the pot moving ultra easy and the 2 others were more hard to move... I used on new product special contact spray and it was better.. now again 2 pots looks griped

on the sound I got the "pocs" on the drums... comparing to a tla 5021 or fredenstein F602 it is unusable...really

I'm still working to find settting to get things better

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search