The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audio Technica ATH-M50x

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

4.15 4.15 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

Audio Technica ATH-M50x Professional Monitor Headphones (Detachable Cable)

27th March 2014

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 by AudioGecko

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Audio Technica ATH-M50x

NOTE. THIS IS A REVIEW OF THE NEWER ATH-M50X (Detachable cable)

I bought these headphones mainly to monitor whilst field recording and for an additional reference in the studio. I highly recommend them for both of these uses. I Also use them to check my masters.

Sound Quality

They have a brilliantly crisp sound quality to my ears. I find them to have a flat response with no bands over hyped making them excellent for an additional reference during mixing. Nice highs and warm, present lows when you need them. I say additional purely because I believe it's generally if not always best to mix and master with studio monitors before headphones.

I listen to a very wide variety of music as well as sound effects whilst working and these headphones provide an excellent and true sound. Whilst being a closed back design they reproduce a good stereo image and a nice 'open' sound.

For field recording use they are good however some sound can often be heard from the outside world. They serve me well in the field though and I would recommend them to a fellow recordist.

Build Quality

These headphones are well built and made from solid plastic that doesn't look or feel cheap. They feel durable and have reasonably chunky hinges to allow the cups to fold into the headband neatly.

The pads around the drivers are soft and fit nicely around the ears creating a reasonable seal. With music playing at a moderate volume it is hard to hear someone close by talking and bleed from the cups is at a minimum.

There is a padded strip under the headband which is also soft and comfortable on the head.

Overall they are a solid pair of headphones, seem sturdy and should last a good few years.

Features

The addition of the detachable cable to the m50x is great as it means you don't have to worry about bending and damaging the cable in storage and having to send them away for repairs. Supplied with the headphones is a detachable coiled cable and a straight cable. There is also a nice fake leather draw string bag for the headphones to slip into once folded up.

Conclusion

These are a very good pair of professional studio monitor headphones. They have a crisp, clear, flat sound with no major frequency peaks or troughs. They are comfy to wear for long periods, durable and I would recommend them to a friend.

12th March 2015

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 by ProducerBenFord

• Sound Quality 3 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features N/A
  • Bang for buck 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 2.75
Audio Technica ATH-M50x

These headphones do provide a great experience for the consumer but the bass response is severely boosted in both tone and pressure level. Much like the BEATS, these consumer headphones do deliver a great listening experience; but as far as them having a flat response, I would strongly disagree. The high frequencies are enhanced and the low frequencies are exaggerated. So for the one the go music creative this will not be something you can go directly to even the car system with.

Length Of Use: Aug 2014 to March 2015

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search