The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NoHype Audio LRM-1

NoHype Audio LRM-1

4.8 4.8 out of 5, based on 3 Reviews

A really great bang-for-the-buck microphone (my first ribbon, mind you), and surreal-good service. The one that I purchased had a stock transformer.

21st March 2014

NoHype Audio LRM-1 by Mandachuva

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
NoHype Audio LRM-1

First of all, I'd like to highly commend JP Gerard (the man behind NoHype audio) for the best shopping experience I've ever encountered. Lightning-fast e-mails and shipment, ETA was nailed right-on (from Belgium to Romania, mind you), plus JP is a great guy to talk to.

Second, the microphone packaging was... so good that it was silly, to put it bluntly: microphone was inside a soft-pouch inside a semi-hard foam shell inside a box inside another pellet-filled box... REALLY?! Needless to say, it arrived in an impeccable state.

Onto the actual mic - it's well-constructed, well-finished, and most importantly, actually sounds good! I've only had it for a few hours, but it already proved itself on blues electric guitar (alongside the usual suspects) and, much to my dismay, got unanimously picked as the vocal mic for a blues-rock vocal (contenders were: AT3035, AT4030, AT4040, MK319 [modded], MK012 [modded], SM7b, MD441 and the LRM-1). It was the only mike that needed no "corrective" EQ-uing for a pleasant listen-through for the rough mix. Test were made with a SCA N72 pre into a PCM4222EVM ADC.

All in all, can't wait for some more sessions to try it on. It's perfectly possible to suffer from a bit of "new gear syndrome" right now, as this is my first ribbon... Had some previous experience with some Thomann ribbons, but didn't really float my boat - to muddy/resonant/odd in low-mid response. But the LRM, for now, I'd say is really smooth, somewhat smokey-detailed (take that, common sense!), and not too dark - which I was afraid that it'd be, as the ribbon that it is.

For 120EUR shipped to the EU, it's a no-brainer to me. I gave it a full 5-stars.

26th January 2016

NoHype Audio LRM-1 by wlinart

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
NoHype Audio LRM-1

A Ribbon Mic for about €120, another Chinese cheap mic, I thought. Well, this one is different. These microphones are assembled in Belgium, and the quality check is much better than other Chinese mics.

The sound

What can I say? Great sound! I've tried it on electric guitar, together with a shure sm57. This was the sound I was looking for. Is it as good as a royer? I don't know. Do I care? No. It sounds very natural, really full, enough high-end, but without the harsh sounds you mostly get with cheap condenser mics.

On another session I tested them on drum OH's. I compared them with Audio Technica's 4081. They were both placed in a Glyn Johns set-up. Both were great sounding. But the LRM-1's were better. Maybe they aren't better in every situation, but in this case, they were. The audio technica's sounded brighter, a had a little bit less body. The LRM-1's were great. Enough highs, a lot of body, but never messy. They were less coloured than i expected, but that wasn't a bad thing.

Other things

The packaging was great, a box, with foam in it, inside the foam, a cover for the mic, and in that cover the mic. The only negative (and i had to think about that for a long time) is that there isn't a shockmount included. (The LRM-2 has one built-in, it's the upgraded version of this mic) But for this price, it's unbelievable how great these mics are. And the seller (JP Gerard) is a great guy. I recommend these microphones!!

19th September 2016

NoHype Audio LRM-1 by Matti

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
NoHype Audio LRM-1

Bought these as cheap Chinese ribbon mics -BUT they are not,
they are as good as it gets from the originals through the hands of J.P. Gerard in Belgium. Much liked around as do I!
You can choose transformers and be sure they are in top notch
when leaving him with his mods and no ribbons sagging etc.
He builds them at his shop as I understand it.

Matti

P.S. He has more stuff, check the site and ADK mics custom series also if I understand...

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search