The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AUDIENT iD22

Audient iD22

4.15 4.15 out of 5, based on 4 Reviews

The iD22 by Audient is a high performing audio interface with pristine AD/DA conversion, nice/clean preamps and fantastic monitor control function in desktop format.

16th March 2014

Audient iD22 by chinesewhiteman

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
AUDIENT iD22

I want to start by pointing out that the iD22 has been somewhat ambiguously categorized. It seems to be passed as a monitor controller, which though the monitor function is great and my favorite thing about this interface, it's not really a monitor controller. It also is passed as a converter, which it of coarse does do, BECAUSE IT'S AN AUDIO INTERFACE!!! Maybe it helps Audient set their product apart? Maybe it's not their fault? IDK, but it's a little annoying. Anyhoo...

I'll get to the nitty gritty…

My 10 scale:

built quality - 10
AD/DA - 9
preamps - 9
monitor control & software - 10
aesthetics - 10

overall - 9.5

Bottom line, this is a killer interface. With its IO, function and all around quality, it's at the top of its class. It has performed perfectly for me, doing everything it's supposed to without a single failure on OSX 10.7/Logic 9. The monitor control on this unit is stellar, with adjustable dim and cut buttons, and three assignable "function" buttons that do everything you need. Also, the software is very flexible and at the same time very simple! I say "it's not a (dedicated) monitor controller" because it is dependent on the software AND there are no inputs on the unit that route directly to the mains. Other gripes...some have complained that the DI and HP jacks are in back, not front…

Other plusses: sturdy, small but not to small (no breakout cables), no toggling, balanced ANALOG inserts (on both pre's), pre's truly bypass-able, stand alone preamp functionality, it looks sexy (hardware & software).

I'd give this product a perfect score "at it's price point." Plus, I also just couldn't give it a perfect score because 1) that just doesn't sound realistic and 2) I had to bring it down a notch for it's categorizational ambiguity.

15th June 2015

Audient iD22 by drumstick

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
AUDIENT iD22

I've had the unit for about a week now and I've pretty much used every feature on it.

Out of the box, the hardwired connections are pretty self explanatory. Let me also add that the packaging is really nice. The unit is very sturdy and looks great. All the pots and buttons are solid and feel nice. It is really nice having a unit designed to sit on your desktop as opposed to a rack mounted unit sitting on your desk, ears and all. I like having all the connections on the back of the unit, keeping all my wires cleanly off my work surface off the back of my desk on to their respective source. The unit is a good size, doesn't take up too much room but is obvious it is a serious piece of gear. If I wanted to get REALLY nit picky about the design, the usb connection indicator light sits just north of the main knob. So when the unit is sitting on the desk in front of you, the knob blocks this light. But again... that's pretty darn nit picky, how often do you look at that indicator? Otherwise, the layout makes sense and is quite ergonomic down to the position of the main knob and the cut, trim and function buttons.

The routing matrix in the app is pretty straight forward. Setting up the app to work with your mains wasn't. It is designed to have every signal (including your mains) pass through the app, which isn't the most convenient, but certainly not a deal breaker for me. So you'll have to set up your main outs on your DAW channels in the app - level, panning etc. There is a little bit of a learning curve with the app, it's not too bad though, just wasn't intuitive for me right away.

Due to the design of my studio, I rarely record multiple instruments at once, so monitoring capability to this degree is not that important to me. However, I can see the benefit and appeal for the extent of monitoring customization applicable in other studio settings. It is impressive (and worth the app) and good to know I have that level of monitor customization available should I need it. The app is why the ease of use is a 4. Having to route my mains through the app (unless I give up the ability to control my mains via the hardware knob) is also a 4.

It's also worth noting I've expanded my I/O's with a Presonus Digimax FS via lightpipe. This works flawlessly. I literally plug it in and it works, no tinkering whatsoever - a pleasant surprise.

The first thing I noticed when I plugged everything up and started testing things out was that the pre amps and the ad/da conversion are a significant upgrade over my former interface(s). The sound out of my monitors had a bit more punch and it seems like I've gotten a bit more clarity. I've also noticed a respectable increase in headroom with my monitors.

I a/b'd the preamps with a few different Tascam units, a few Presonus units (including the Digimax FS) and an Art Pro MPA ii. The Audient preamps are a clear and definitive step ahead. They are much more open, clear and articulate. I wasn't expecting such a sonic upgrade. The difference in quality was rather noticeable with some light singing into an SM57 which happened to be the closest mic at hand at the time. Since, I've recorded a full drum set and was BLOWN AWAY. This unit is going to drastically improve my output. I am so impressed with the pre's that I plan on swapping out the Digimax with an ASP 800 or 880 asap, having 8 more of those pre's is an exciting prospect. Sound quality is a 5, without a doubt.

In summary, I have a few gripes mostly related to what many tout as it's most distinguishing feature, the monitoring/app. However, for me, the sonic pro's far outweigh the functionality cons. I should also mention that I contacted the Audient help desk via their website with a question. They replied within a few hours with a friendly response that was thorough, precise and helpful. That's why this unit gets a 5 on bang for buck.

13th October 2015

Audient iD22 by dyavuz

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
AUDIENT iD22

It's a very useful audio interface with a very well-thought set of input and outputs.
You can use outboard equipment between the preamp and the ADC. You can use the second pair of outputs as send and then return directly to the ADC which is a great flexibility.

The software is not as good as some competition. It feels somewhat heavy and slow for the couple of faders you have on the screen.

Latency performance is really good.
It's also an advantage to have a nice big volume knob for monitoring.
The headphone amp is the biggest weakness of this unit.

The preamps can sound a little bit thin for certain cases. They are not the best preamps I've heard but on the other hand the DI is really fantastic. Better than the best of the passive Radial stuff in my opinion.

Overall, it's a sound-wise good quality audio interface with very flexible routing capabilities.

I wish it had two DI.

7th March 2018

Audient iD22 by Greg105

• Sound Quality 1 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 1 out of 5
  • Overall: 3
AUDIENT iD22

My iD22 started out sounding great. The unit appears solid and well built from the outside. Unit stayed on my desk and never got transported around.

After a short period of light use, the unit started to output static on the headphone ports so I am unable to do any monitoring / vocals.

Having paid $500 for this unit in late 2016, it is now worthless. Was unable reach an agreement with audients support team and am stuck with it. A quick google search will reveal quite a few issues with the iD22 in regards to static.

I'd recommend finding a more reputable company that stands behind their products. This was my FIRST and LAST purchase of an Audient product.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... AUDIENT iD22
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search