The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ferrofish AK16 Mk-II

Ferrofish A16 MK-II

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

AD/DA Convertor with 16 analog inputs and 16 analog outputs. ADAT and MADI connectivity, with sampling up to 24/192. Great value for the money.

13th March 2014

Ferrofish A16 MK-II by spurratic

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Ferrofish AK16 Mk-II

For those looking to get into outboard gear, or looking to add a console back into their DAW....simply knowing how to interface it to your computer can be troublesome. Do I plug in to my interface preamps? Doesn't that defeat the purpose? Then we learn about converters and the price tag makes us want to run "Over the Hills and Far Away".

Ferrofish has answered the call at a price point that allows more engineers to get into the analog domain.

Build Quality/Bang for Buck: This was the first win for me in buying this unit. Nice solid rack hardware, clear display, high quality 1/4" trs connectors on the back that have that comforting click and lack of 'wiggle' that tells you you are getting the best signal. And at a price of $1299USD (on one particular US seller's site), this is a great buy.

Sound: A multitude of options from 32HZ to 192HZ and between the MADI and ADAT connectivity.....it can integrate into nearly any system and deliver all the quality you could want.

Ease of Use: With a menu button and 2 navigation buttons, it is easy enough to navigate, but I found myself having to mess around to find the options I was looking for. Also, to return to the main menu, I wouldn't have known to press and hold the Menu button without consulting the manual. So I give it a 4 out of 5.

Features: For a unit that basically serves one true purpose....I don't know that I would expect many 'features', however, with 16 analog ins, was there an opportunity to allow summing? i.e.: 16 analog ins from outboard pre's, summed to 2 of the analog outs within the unit itself? The unit already offers level manipulation....so one can wonder if there was a summing opportunity missed here. Perhaps that was out of the question at this price point.

Overview: Until I came across the Ferrofish, hooking up my 16ch analog board direct to my computer through analog ins seemed like a pipe dream with my budget. I would suggest to anyone who is adding analog outboard to their setup to consider this unit. It truly bridges that gap from the hobbyist looking to get some analog Mojo....right through to the professional domain.

12th September 2014

Ferrofish A16 MK-II by GnS

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Ferrofish AK16 Mk-II

I have a A16 MKII in a mobile Rig. In my Studio it's connected over MADI. On the road I often use ADAT. The unit sounds great: clean, neutral sound - just what I want. The enclosure is heavy and very solid. I was able to set up the converter without reading the manual. The only thing thats missing are additionaal features. The unit does what it does: Converting analogue signals to digital signals and vice versa. It's a bargain considering the quality and the sound.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Ferrofish AK16 Mk-II
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search