The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
VHT Special 6 Head

VHT Special 6 Head

4.25 4.25 out of 5, based on 1 Review

This has to be probably the best buy I've ever made, next to the 76' Explorer I picked up for $200 @ GC in 1980 - Totally pure PTP tube amp, BIG iron for 6 watts plus a cab. Out-of-the-box, great usable tones, but plug in a nice pedal (or two) and watch-out! And with a 20% off coupon, only $168.

11th March 2014

VHT Special 6 Head by Gary Ladd

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25

Pure, pure tube tone with a tone stack reminiscent of black face champ, mixed with a bit of vintage AC4.

Could tell right away the tubes are middlin' at best, so I ordered a JJECC803S and JJ6V6 - Night and day!

Pretty quiet with the MIC tubes, but the JJ tubes made it dead quiet!

And with the JJs the tone smoothed out, while greatly adding headroom and adding the sweetest overtones/...plugged in several nice pedals, pretty much endless possibilities, just add the right speaker combo.

Not really a live thing, but for studio and to fill in for my $1000+ amps, it's untouchable in its price range...

All the other "tube" amps in the sub $300 price range have pedal-esque solid state clipping/distortion et al. integrated in the preamp circuit

And the boost function, while not needed for me, is a nice clean design and circuit bypassable option.

Decided on the head, since I have a wide selection of speaker cabs, and it makes the ultimate compact backup...

So nice, I went back for a second

Attached Thumbnails
VHT Special 6 Head-vht-special-6-head_3.jpg  

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... VHT Special 6 Head
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search