The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DAVE SMITH INSTRUMENTS Prophet 12

Dave Smith Instruments Prophet 12

4.75 4.75 out of 5, based on 1 Review

A flexible hybrid-synth powerhouse with an impressive range of features and timbres, all housed in an elegant chassis and knobs for just about everything.

9th February 2014

Dave Smith Instruments Prophet 12 by ctrlshft

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
DAVE SMITH INSTRUMENTS Prophet 12

I absolutely love my P12. I think it's strongest suits are definitely pads and sfx, but it definitely can handle leads and some types of basses with aplomb. Great for synth-y acoustic emulations too. This thing wants to go big.

The programming is super deep (especially when you get osc frequency modulation involved), but gotta say it's one of the most intuitive and comfortable programming experiences I've ever had with a DSI synth. Everything just kind of feels "right".

Some of the more recent updates have brought some cool ideas to the fray as well, including control over lpf/hpf of the delays, and being able to modulate osc slop (smeary pitch inebriation ahoy!).

My hope is that in the future they'll implement a way to allow you to add in your own user waves, or like a "draw your own" wave that brings you to a basic GUI on the OLED to draw in the wave with the soft knobs.

Would also like access to a more conventional sounding bitcrusher, "hack" isn't quite as satisfying. The curtis filter is iconic and certainly of a certain sound (love it or hate it) - hot, a little "chippy", but smoother than you might expect, and capable of some serious juice with the right modulation, at least in 4 pole mode. The 2 pole is essentially worthless to me due to the lack of full resonance support. The HPF is surprisingly decent and useful for de-mudding super stacked pads/strings. You can also use it to hype basses if you crank the resonance and lower the hpf cut to around 0-20.

All in all it's been a dream, and a source of real inspiration in my work. A great new flagship synth from DSI, and props to them for innovating. This is a fine hybrid synth and will be a classic for years to come.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... DAVE SMITH INSTRUMENTS Prophet 12
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search