The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland Jupiter 6 w/Europa Mod

Roland Jupiter-6

4.9 4.9 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

Classic analog polysynth, with updated midi and functions courtesy of europa mod.

3rd February 2014

Roland Jupiter-6 by fxs

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75

After being on the quest for a analog polysynth with an full & instant interface for sometime, I decided to get a Jupiter 6, I had one during the 80's and really liked then; I was lucky to find one in museum condition, not a scratch, when I heard The JP 6 again, it was love at first sight, or love at first sound.

The JP 6 was the very first midi synth from Roland,( it was used in 1983 at NAAM to demonstrate this new MIDI thing with a SCI Prophet 600) so the implementation is dated, did not sync the arpegiator to MIDI clock, and the front panel knobs did not generated any midi data when moved, That's why it needed Europa Mod. Bought it and was easily installed.

The JP6 is a very complex polysynth with a deceptively simple looking front panel, it has plenty of continuously adjustable modulation capacity, a lot more than say an OBXa, it has two oscillators with all the basic waveforms sine, saw, pulse & noise, all of them simultaneously available courtesy of Europa Mod, its got a multi mode filter, where the resonance is not as sweet as other analogs, but the flexibility of this filter wins over, LPF w resonance can growl in a acid funny almost digital kind of way, but if you use the Bandpass or highpass then you are entering JP 6 territory, of uncharted thin & weird sounds,

Two ADSR envelopes and a VCA complete the flow of this synth

Classic pads, brass, SFX, bass, this synth can do anything you throw at it, quickly & with grace, unlike other polys, it can do a very good impersonation of a monosynth without sounding small,

It has 6 voices that can be split into 2-4 or 4-2, each half having its own arpegiator, same clock though, two mono and two poly modes, Europa adds lots of extra arpegiator modes, Midi clock works as a charm so all of those musical ideas that originated from the arpegiators and used to get lost, can be put to use integrating them easily with my sequenced environment,

I have about 20 different synths, 12 of them classic analog ones, this is my dessert island synth, use it all the time, always delivers,

Cheers

Francisco

23rd April 2017

Roland Jupiter-6 by Chummy

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

This is my only analog synth and probably my most prized possesion. If you want to get the sound of that era (late 70s/early 80s) and you're an avid fan there's no replacement for the real deal - get a vintage synth.

I heard alot of people complaining about the Jupiter supposedly having thin-weak sound qualities compared to the JP4 and JP8. Truthfully, the JP6 is not fatter but also not weaker/thinner than the other 2. The JP8's only major advantage is probably its extra voices/dual mode features which combined with unison gets you 2 more voices stacked.

The Jupiter 6 is an underrated synth, giving you features its predeccessors didn't have like cross mod (VCOs modulating each other like in FM), MIDI, MultiMode filter (hells yeah, its HPF is a beast) in contrast to the JP8 LPF only - combi wave forms (neat little thing). In addition my EUROPA chip (which is a MUST have if you're already an owner) gives you enhanced MIDI support on every slider/pot except for LFO2 unfortunately (which is a bit of a shame because you can't use an external controller to trigger pitch/mod wheel with), MIDI channel mapping, intuitive Internal sequencer - YES you can sequence the synth from itself!! - different ARP modes including the random arpeggiator mode so that covers the JP4, Better clock than Roland's, dual sync (you can actually activate both VCO sync from both sides), Flash memory (Battery goes bad ? just press a button and reset factory patches which are saved inside the synth like a USB drive - which doesn't need lithium battery to load).

This is the synth you would actually be able to gig with - Heavy but built like a tank - made in Japan!!

There's a cheat sheet magnet overlay sold on eBay for the europa mod kit that transcribes pretty much most of Europa's important features and where to press anything. It also looks real nice and protective for your synth.

Fun fact - the entirety of Ray Parker Jr. "Ghostbusters" theme song was made with a JP6, not a JP8!!

Go get it before prices go really insane!! :D

Cheers,

Yotam.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Roland Jupiter 6 w/Europa Mod
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search