The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hendyamps Capone

Hendyamps Capone

4.75 4.75 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Amazing amp for lead tones and more...

28th January 2014

Hendyamps Capone by collinTHEbrewer

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Hendyamps Capone

Ordered a version of his Capone. A month later I received the amp. During that month, Chris sent me pictures of the building process and kept me involved every step of the way. When the circuit was completed, he let me come try it out and made any modifications I wanted to the original circuit. Luckily I had none!

I'm currently playing through an Avatar 2x12 with a Vintage 30 and G12H30. This amp kills! Let me tell you a little bit about the amp...

To start off, this amp uses a GZ34 rectifier tube to give the Capone that perfectly authentic tube amp playability.

Channel 1 is an EF86 channel that dirties up very quickly! It's got a simple gain knob and a rotary tone knob with 6 or 7 positions.

Channel 2 is a pair of 12AX7s implementing a pretty cool usage of a cathode follower stage. It makes for a great chimey, clean channel that can do smooth break up when pushed to max volume or when driven by a pedal. There are Low, High, and Gain controls. The Low controls the low end of the signal (DUH!) but it doesn't feel like you are losing a part of your guitar when you dial it down. Instead it sounds like you are just opening up the higher frequencies by subtracting the bass. This allows you to dial in powerful rhythm or gentle lead tones. The High control does an interesting thing when dialed down. More mids punch through and drive the channel resulting in some 12AX7 overdrive. This control really complements the 12AX7 too because it eliminates a lot of the harshness from the overdrive leaving a smooth and powerful drive.

Both channels are fed by the same input and mix together into a 6V6 output amp guided by an ultralinear output transformer. The channels' gain controls allow you to blend the two channels together. The OT really tops the amp off in my opinion. Hearing the difference between the ultralinear and a normal OT was stark. The UL OT kept the amp nice and open. The complete frequency spectrum was available for the Capone to shine through!

Overall, I wanted an amp that could handle Fender cleans and Vox chimey OD tones. Chris gave me an amp that can do both and more! Chris has truly created an excellent and unique sound that I am lucky to have. Since debuting this amp with my band, I have received countless compliments and inquiries on my tone.

The Capone also responds well to pedals. Overdrives and Boosts all seems to compliment the amp instead of overwhelm it like other amplifiers sometimes are.

From a guitarist's perspective, the amp is versatile, sounds great, has plenty of depth, and cuts through the mix in a very natural way.

Hendy has plenty more tricks up his sleeve, so I would recommend you check out his stuff ASAP. He's also got a great studio tube preamp/compressor that I have my eye on...

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Hendyamps Capone
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search