The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Blackheart BH5H

Blackheart BH5H

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Blackheart BH5 Head Review. If you're looking for low wattage with some bite.. This amp just may be for you!

27th December 2013

Blackheart BH5H by RJRage89

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

Sound Quality (4)
The sound quality is incredible for what you get. This is a nice and simple single-ended, Pentode / Triode (5w / 3w) tube head. Coming in at $250 brand NEW for the head, this is a steal. Another $150 and you have yourself the matching (Eminence loaded) 1x12 cab (got both the head and my 1x12 cab for $200 used). The amp provides gig level (if you have a dynamic drummer) cleans in Pentode mode and loves to take pedals. On the same note.. Natural saturation is very easily achieved when in Triode mode. Lots-o-bang for your dollar. The lack of decent stock tubes

Ease of use (5)
Very easy and simple amp to use. Not a whole lot of knobs or controls to fiddle around with but everything is there that you would expect to be there.

Features (4)
Features gets a solid 4. Bass, Mid, Treble, and Volume are marked by each knob and you also get an On / Off switch and a Pentode / Triode (5w / 3w) switch. The back panel offers you a selection of speaker outputs ranging from 4 ohms to 16 ohms. This would have been a solid 5 / 5 if it had a Standby switch and didn't ship with cheapo Chinese tubes.

Bang for buck (5)
No doubt that this is a 5 regardless of the cheap tubes that ship in these things. It only boasts a single EL84 and 12AX7.. So locating better tubes won't break the bank. Think of it as an investment to your tone. As stated earlier, I paid $200 for the head and 1x12 cab used. I bought a used EV 12" speaker and a some NOS GE tubes to put in the head. That $150 investment easily paid itself off.

For those wondering about the BH112 (1x12 Cab). The cab itself is absolutely solid.. Built like a tank. The Eminence speaker that they come stock with is acceptable for the price. I would however, recommend swapping it with something a bit more substantial tone wise. Mine got loaded with an EV 12". I would also consider this an investment to your overall tone and would say that it is well worth the upgrade.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Blackheart BH5H
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search