The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Two Notes Torpedo Live

Two Notes Audio Engineering Torpedo Live

4.35 4.35 out of 5, based on 3 Reviews

Guitar amp power soak / load box with added digital cab and mic simulation

13th April 2013

Two Notes Audio Engineering Torpedo Live by TraumaBunny

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Two Notes Torpedo Live

Although the product is designed for live applications, it's being heavily marketed as a cheaper alternative to Two Notes flagship Torpedo VB-101

News flash, it isn't and here's why:

Although the hardware unit does exactly what it say's on the tin (and beautifully so I might add) it has cheaper components, less features and it's accompanying software (Torpedo Remote) is completely dreadful and frustrating to use.

Torpedo Remote is pretty much a stripped down, bug-infested,"freebie" version of the PI-101 plug-in and in comparison to that fantastic software, Torpedo Remote just feels like a cheap appetizer that leaves you hungry for more. None of the features that make the PI-101 plug-in useful in a studio environment are included in Torpedo Remote at all.

Torpedo Remote's most irritating flaw is it's sluggish 'drag and drop' feature but it's many faults and failings aside, on the upside it comes with a no thrills 5 band EQ, some power-amp emulations and 32 EXTREMELY authentic sounding speaker/microphone simulations with the opportunity to save over 500 of your own impulses in the hardware itself.

But without a means to spice up the pasta, what's the point of boiling it to begin with?

Considering that the Torpedo Live retails for the price of an average persons monthly wage, I was expecting more from this unit but that's just the way things are these days. In case you're wondering no, it doesn't come with a noise gate, compressor, parametric EQ or reverb either.

With additional software it can be extremely useful in a studio but on it's own, forget it!!! If that's what you're hoping for purchase a Palmer or a Koch load box and use software impulses instead, you'd get similar results for far less money.

Ultimately, this a professional load box for live musicians and not a home recording tool for hobbyists. It's a little dishonest of them to market it as a studio tool on their website (and numerous Youtube videos) when it's designed for live purposes but with extra software, it can do that too, just not as well as the VB-101

15th April 2013

Two Notes Audio Engineering Torpedo Live by sacredheart

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Two Notes Torpedo Live

I really like the unit! It has awesome sound which is really easy to dial in to your liking. Unlike the review above me, I don't use the plugin but I do the editing on the actual hardware display. It is not a hassle at all. Takes some time in the beginning to come to grips with what happens when you do different stuff, but what unit doesn't have that "problem"? I use it in my humble home studio for recording and jamming, works like a charm. I've only had it for two months so I am not a long time user, but so far so good.

If I should say something negative about it is that the load-thingie resonates quite high, and can be audible through headphones sometimes. For me that's an non issue. Indeed it was quite expensive (approx 800 euro) but for me it's really worth it.

13th December 2013

Two Notes Audio Engineering Torpedo Live by Jules

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Two Notes Torpedo Live

I wanted a load box that had a headphone out so that I could use a valve head and "bedroom practice" and jam to recorded tunes. (I don't record these days, I am too busy running this forum!)

I used to own a Palmer speaker simulator and and a Marshal SE100 (both load boxes) and both of those had a few cab emulation option switches. I was also consulted on the R&D of the Equis Motherload version II load box / speaker simulator..

I really like this unit - I did a shoot out at a friends house with his Palmer and the Torpedo Live easily matched its sound - but because it has so many other cab & mic options it is more versatile.

Its perfect for my bedroom practice use but I would recommend it for anyone recording a lot of layered guitars.

The ability to select an amp head then chose between many mic models (with distance and off cone axis parameters) and then chose different cab types, give the Torpedo a fantastic 'dial in' tone capability.

With a low latency of just 3ms both of my pro / session guitarist friends that tried it with me agreed there was no perceptible 'latency' to the feel of playing. So you get that 'juicy' guitar - into valve amp (me Ampeg GVT 15h) feel..

And the colour of it is white and with a deep blue back light - so what's not to like!

IMHO its a fantastic tool for anyone recording a lot of guitar tracks. (or like me who wants to 'drive' a valve amp but listen via headphones)

Highly recommended

I put a rough recording of it up here

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/9721004-post30.html

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Two Notes Torpedo Live
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search