MeldaProduction MStereoSpread by Tommy Zai
*Disclaimer: I'm a songwriter, producer, and educator. My writing style may read like a billboard ad, but my user review is sincere and authentic. I only appraise a product I consider extraordinary, hence the high rating. I don't work for the developer. In fact, I rarely work at all. :-) I hope you find my review useful. — Tommy Zai
MStereoSpread by MeldaProduction helps make audio tracks more personal, but bringing sound “closer to the listener.” At first I couldn’t understand how a psychoacoustic delay-based pseudo stereo illusion could widen and tighten at the same time. It was a little hard for me to wrap my brain around. What helped me is this — I stopped thinking, listened to my newly spread tracks, and smiled at the results! When this effect is combined with the on-board saturator, the results rich and very natural sounding. When I bypass the effect, it feels like something is missing. In my opinion, MStereoSpread is like salt — a little pinch goes a long way to season a track. *I later came to understand that when the plugin is inserted on a track, the artificial stereo generators create an inequality between the L and R via a combination of frequency response, time, and volume.
• Intuitive interface/clean GUI
• Easy to use. i.e., Spread controls amount of effect, Frequency controls what is modulated; etc.
• Good basic presets categories (drums, bass, piano, solo instruments, orchestra, voice)
• Goniometer enables excellent visual control
• MIDI learn
• Limiter to protect against volume spikes
• Up-sampling (1x-16x)
• Responsive developer (prompt replies to inquiries and frequent updates)
• Lifetime free updates
• Requires a little patience to achieve the optimal widening and panorama balance
• The more frequency bands that are split by the Spectral Generator = more CPU, of course. This needs to be kept in mind. Power needs energy!
According to Melda, “Modern listeners crave extremely tight and punchy sound.” I’d say they are correct, but MSS does something else — it helps to create livelier tracks. I highly recommend MStereoSpread to any e-musician, producer, etc., who wants his/her track to feel more alive. Good price if purchased as an individual plugin; great price if purchased as part of a bundle. My ears and wallet are happy! Tommy Zai gives MStereoSpread two hard-panned thumbs up! Thank you Melda for developing a great plugin.