The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MeldaProduction MStereoSpread

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

I highly recommend MStereoSpread to any e-musician, producer, etc., who wants his/her track to feel more alive. Good price if purchased as an individual plugin; great price if purchased as part of a bundle.

8th December 2013

MeldaProduction MStereoSpread by Tommy Zai

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

*Disclaimer: I'm a songwriter, producer, and educator. My writing style may read like a billboard ad, but my user review is sincere and authentic. I only appraise a product I consider extraordinary, hence the high rating. I don't work for the developer. In fact, I rarely work at all. :-) I hope you find my review useful. — Tommy Zai

MStereoSpread by MeldaProduction helps make audio tracks more personal, but bringing sound “closer to the listener.” At first I couldn’t understand how a psychoacoustic delay-based pseudo stereo illusion could widen and tighten at the same time. It was a little hard for me to wrap my brain around. What helped me is this — I stopped thinking, listened to my newly spread tracks, and smiled at the results! When this effect is combined with the on-board saturator, the results rich and very natural sounding. When I bypass the effect, it feels like something is missing. In my opinion, MStereoSpread is like salt — a little pinch goes a long way to season a track. *I later came to understand that when the plugin is inserted on a track, the artificial stereo generators create an inequality between the L and R via a combination of frequency response, time, and volume.

PROS
• Intuitive interface/clean GUI
• Easy to use. i.e., Spread controls amount of effect, Frequency controls what is modulated; etc.
• Good basic presets categories (drums, bass, piano, solo instruments, orchestra, voice)
• Goniometer enables excellent visual control
• MIDI learn
• Limiter to protect against volume spikes
• Up-sampling (1x-16x)
• Responsive developer (prompt replies to inquiries and frequent updates)
• Lifetime free updates

CONS
• Requires a little patience to achieve the optimal widening and panorama balance
• The more frequency bands that are split by the Spectral Generator = more CPU, of course. This needs to be kept in mind. Power needs energy!

CONCLUSION
According to Melda, “Modern listeners crave extremely tight and punchy sound.” I’d say they are correct, but MSS does something else — it helps to create livelier tracks. I highly recommend MStereoSpread to any e-musician, producer, etc., who wants his/her track to feel more alive. Good price if purchased as an individual plugin; great price if purchased as part of a bundle. My ears and wallet are happy! Tommy Zai gives MStereoSpread two hard-panned thumbs up! Thank you Melda for developing a great plugin.

13th December 2013

MeldaProduction MStereoSpread by ashmundo

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

Ok guys so this is gonna be limited to the basic functions as I haven't as of yet sat down properly and gone through the advanced features of this plug including all the modulation and multi-parameter controls - I have used the basic functions to GREAT effect on various mixes since grabbing this in a deal.

By simply working the 'spread' 'widening' 'focus' and 'min freq.' you can make things work for many sources. The focus is particularly useful as this sets the frequency group most affected by the spreader and the 'min freq.' helps keep lower frequencies central (spreading low frequencies is troublesome for mono playback!)

I have mainly been using just the 'spectral spreader' opposed to the delay-based one so far as it sounds reeeeaaal smooth!

I gave the ease of use a 3 due to the ability to easily screw up your mix for mono playback with this! If you're not careful you'll have main elements that you've over spread pretty much do a Houdini on you when you press the mono button. Not good. So you do have to be careful with the amount of spread and 'widening' you dial in and always check your mono when setting this plug!!!! The reason it's easy to overdo it is because the massive spreads this can create sound absolutely amazing in stereo where the part suits it. But of course it's better in this scenario to tame it enough to still sound present in a mono mix.

Particularly successful uses have been on synths, guitar (lightly) and vocals. Vocals WOW! Whack this on your main vocal in a roomy mix and there's your big up front vox!

Many tools/toys we buy we enjoy using and if we're lucky they offer something unique for our arsenal. But IME it's rare for tools to really facilitate one taking their work up a notch. Bottom line is - my mixes have improved with this around! I haven't (and won't be) touching wave's spreader from now on. This has been used on every mix since it landed in my plugin folder for good reason.

Spread the love!

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... MeldaProduction MStereoSpread
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search