18th November 2013

Mooer Trelicopter by johnnyv

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Mooer Trelicopter

This is one in a Mirco Pedal series from a new company from China- Mooer.

These puppies sell for well under $100 and have a sound on par with those $$boutique$$ pedals. They are solid built with a hefty feel for the size and seemingly good quality switches and jacks. Some might find them a bit too small, but this is a feature I really enjoy as floor space is at a premium for me.

First I'll explain my style and set up. I play cover tunes, mostly 50's and 60's rock and some country too. I 'm playing A G&L tribute Telecaster through a customized 1974 Fender Princeton.

Pedals can suck the tone right out of your set up. Multi EFX pedals are the worst for this. Very few pedals make it to my pedal board for live gigs because of this factor. The ones that don't still find use in the studio.
So far I have three Mooers on my pedal board and I'm not finished collecting. I also noticed on the Telecaster forum there seems to be a lot of players that have one in their collection. Most have been giving these pedals a thumbs up too. The Trelicopter seems to be the most popular.

I have been looking for a good Tremolo pedal for a long time. My Princeton originally had tremolo, but the tech who rebuilt it used the tremolo circuit for a pre amp gain stage. I chose overdrive control over having the Tremolo. But I missed it almost right away. I didn't realize how much I used it as part of my sound.

The Controls:

The Big White Knob is Speed which you find yourself needing to manipulate the most. I can do this with my shoe sometimes.

The little black controls are a bummer, but I guess it's to be expected in a micro design. You'll need to put some white paint on the pointers as they are nearly invisible.
I do wish the Depth control was bigger as I need to use it sometimes.

The third knob is not traditional and is marked "Bias". It's hard to describe what it does, but it gives you a small range of different sounds within the tremolo effect. I found the setting I like and never move it now. Small but powerful. Without this control you might not like the chosen pre-set sound which is what I found with all the other Tremolo pedals in the past.

Because of the small size there is no room for a battery which is no loss to me as I never use them. It is powered by a standard Boss system.

This company must have hired a good designer. There is not much about them and their web site is not very informative. It often will not even open. Starting a new company is risky stuff so we'll see if this brand says on the market for a long time. And only time will tell if the quality holds up under the abuse of live work. I'll update the minute I have any problems, promise!

Last edited by johnnyv; 19th November 2013 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: Clarity

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search