14th October 2013

Moog The Ladder by Akysz

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Moog the LADDER

I was always curios what kind of functionality may offer a module which is not 100% eq... not 100% compressor... not a 100% resonance tool... hmmm... maybe it is a kind of "WOW feeling" equipment only? ...but let's start from the beggining...
1. the loOK.
Moog is perfectly designed. Combination of a black and gold/orange front panel with white numbers, knobs with silver looking top finishing. Top quality. It shines even it's not working.
Knobs are functionally placed and it is very easy to work with them and the WOOW looking orange lighted bypass is my favourite when the night is coming
2. the FUNctionality
Drive and Output levels really do the difference with how the Ladder should work. Want more MOOG drive in your signal? No problem, but be careful with this and try different options. Safe start is 50/50 between Drive and Output , then you may seek for more unexpected sounds, but first go to other knobs as well.
Attack and release work the same as a section in compressors for me. It means you should know how fast or slow you want the Ladder start and stop "working". For long low end of the kick drum just try middle attack and slow release, then you will not think to buy subkick mic anymore (just kidding. subkick could be a nice "studio weapon", too)
The one and only BIG KNOB is CUToff filter and you can choose how deep you will MOOGing you sound after you switch HP/LP. I think it will be main button for me to specify a range of how I expect to impact raw sounds.
In cooperation with cutoff there are two additional knobs, Resonance and Amount. You can use them to make your track working with a total different tones, additional Moog synhsounds... this is for fun or special creativity. You can find with the Ladder sounds that are unvisible in the raw track, more space, delays, subtones...
3. Ladder is a PREcise tool. Gentle move can change the sound and for me it was easy to find the exactly point of setting I wanted.
I think I will DISCOver the Ladder day by day. It'll stay with me forEVER I'm 100% sure. And he needs a twin brother (second LADDER) :D
I want to present a short video with MOOG Ladder inserted at ambient drums track. He did everything with it. I just added some more klick at the kick track, a little bit od snare and OH's... and that's it. Whole drums are ready. Fast and easy help with MOOGing... sorry... mixing.

MOOG Ladder presentation ambient drums on Vimeo

If you want more. Just try by yourself.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Moog the LADDER
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search