5th September 2013

Schoeps CM060 by Voivodinevampyr

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 1 out of 5
  • Features 1 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 2.5
Schoeps CM060

The essence of Schoeps ? Not really ; an endangered or tricksty seller claim it to be akin to NEUMANN KM-84's capsule.

Honestly I'd put this assertion into question. Let's even reject it, for SCHOEPS's own honour sake. To the point : on many respects KM 84's sound better (I'm not acquainted with NEUMANN trade department, and I'd add recent many of recent ref's are truly inferior to their vintage counterparts). But the one & the other were not supposed to be compared as equivalent -apart from being condenser-type mic's.

This microphone, the CM060 is a special edition of the SCHOEPS acclaimed design from 1959. It features a bass roll-off which addressed its primary aim, serving as the main microphone in a church installation. At least 2 mm less on the width front (sorry to sound materialistic).
Of course was it -and still is- used in professional studios.
Best suited for : acoustical instruments, speech (although not with that boomy infra-bass that French radio emits as its standard), drumming. Piano... nope, 'didn't had what I expected with it directly plugged into quality grade interface.

To me it sounds fine, broadcast in between the good (neutral) and the bad (too thin !!!!!) sides. My consolation is that it was a God friendly essay, from a German manufacturer I think I'd have preferred to Neumann in another life.
In one word, let's say some vintage equipments appear transcending when compared to post-modern counterparts ; this one is not of those "golden reference", although certainly an interesting piece depending on your gearing.

WORTH : selective appliance, which makes it not an "all rounder" move
ASSET : some of us would find it descends to good extent from SCHOEPS delicacy, others that is suffers from too many trade-off's
VALUE : 350 $ ( 'paid the double)

FAMILY SPEC'ing :

CM 62 T omni characteristic 40 .. 16000 Hz
CM 64 T universal cardioid 40 .. 16000 Hz
CM 60 & CM 640 T close speech cardioid 200 .. 16000 Hz

Last edited by Voivodinevampyr; 5th September 2013 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: From / Own

17th February 2014

Schoeps CM060 by pitchbend

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.5
Schoeps CM060

The above review bashing the CM060 fails to take into account that the CM060 is just a Schoeps preamp body and that the real review should be about the capsule it is attached to. I am assuming the review is about the 640T capsule(speech cardioid) that is most commonly shipped with the CM060. That is the capsule I have also and yes it's definitely not a great all a round mic because of a steep bass roll off after 200hz so it's thin and very clear sounding with a high presence peak. I use mine as a high-hat mic and it's really great for that. I have heard that the CM060 body paired with the full range CM62T or CM64T becomes a truly great mic for lots of sources, but I have yet to find either of those capsules. That said, the 640T is a great mic on sources that you'd normally roll off the lows on anyways. Very dry sounding, but clear and never harsh.

19th July 2019

Schoeps CM060 by Fioraxy

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
Schoeps CM060

The Two reviews above are about the "speech capsule" (mk40)
These are made for speech in very reverberant rooms and like schoeps says "not useable for music"
The MK4 capsule on the other hand is a totally different animal. After having our cm060 checked by the factory they are very close to the colleta cmc5 mk4.
We use them side by side without any problems.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Schoeps CM060
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search