2nd September 2013

Chandler Limited Little Devil Compressor by thelowcrow

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Chandler Little Devil Compressor

This one is an odd one. If you've ever used any EMI-style compressors, of which this is somewhat based on, then you know they they are different beasts entirely. Let's start from the top and go down, and I'll try to describe what I mean.

VU Meter
This shows gain reduction only, and is a bit on the slow side. There is often more compression going on than the numbers say, so really use your ears

Gain Stages
There's no threshold on this compressor, only an input and output like you'd find on your favorite Blackface or Blue Stripe FET compressor, but the similarity stops there. I've found that with signals recorded at modest levels require the input knob to be cranked to achieve much compression at all. This holds true for other EMI compressors that I've used in the past, so no surprise here. The internal threshold is altered somewhat by the type of curve and ratio, but we'll get to that.

Curve
There's a switch between two types of compression responses, and these curves also affect the ratios, and probably the attack and release, so with all the options, this can be an extremely versatile compressor. The Germ setting is based on the Germanium compressors that Chandler offers, but is not a direct copy. It is very aggressive and "point-ier" sounding, while the Zener curve is far more gentle and softer.

Mix
Parallel compression knob. CCW all wet, CW all dry.

Ratio
Here's a 3-position switch that offers different "ear-tuned" ratios: Low, Med and High.

Release
Another 3-position switch that offers different "ear-tuned releases: Slow, Med and Fast

Sidechain
A HPF in switchable increments from 30Hz to 300Hz

Attack
The only other bit of compression that can be fine-tuned. A continuous knob from slow to fast.

This is a compressor that requires a LOT of experimentation to find the sound that works best, but once it's there, watch out! Like the Little Devil EQ, this unit tends to want to push things forward. All things being equal, just taking it out of bypass with no compression will add some aggressive mojo on its own.

Chandler provides a VERY in-depth manual for this unit that is a "must read"! Sure, you can just twiddle the pretty knobs and switches, but to really get under this one's skin, it helps to make it the devil you know.

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search