Simon Systems RDB-400 by Snatchman

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
Simon Systems RDB-400

Simon System RDB-400 DI:

I know a DI is not really considered " scrumptous" when it comes to collecting gear, but I must confess I'm sorta a believer of 'em.( especially recording electronic style music)..As I have found out, all DIs are not created equal.(and sometimes, not even close..!)

OVERVIEW:

The Simon System DI is a (4) channel transformerless active DI. I've owned/used many of the top name brand ( and some brand X) DIs and rank the RDB-400 right at the top.!.The maker of this DI makes claim that it has no insertion loss, a term I was not really aware of until reading the literature.I thought it was probably " hype" until I tried it.When you plug in a source into the RDB-400, the signal stays true to the input signal volume. I tried this in some other DIs and noticed there was a slight drop in level,even my trusted Avalon U-5..!. Even thought (4) channels, it's not a heavy unit considering other DIs ( Avalon, Ditto, Duplex,etc.), it definately sounds the part.

Features:

It has the standard features as most good DI will have and a couple more handy ones. It has variable XLR balanced line level outputs per channel on the rear that sounds very good that you can drive directly to tape, DAW, disc, etc. It also have your normal XLR balanced mic level out as well per channel located on the front to run into your favorite mic pre. 1/4" unbalanced jacks parallel the XLR front outs to plug into an amp/cab for mic'ing.You select the input job via a three way switch that reads:ATTENUATE/NORMAL/LINE.... Of course it accepts a speaker load and has an attenuator ( variable) to make up the impedance mis match if needed. Now.....for those as myself that love to experiment with modding,etc. the RDB-400 has thru-hole technology and the op amps are in.....Sockets!!!..The RDB-400 sounds very good stock but I took the liberty to swap out the 5532 opamps with LME-97810(?). The unit offerd a more opened top end and details..This of course is subjectional so as always, YMMV..

PRICING/COMPARISON

In closing, for those needing a good multible channel DI that has a great bang for the buck appeal, give the Simon System RDB-400 a look..Tho not exactly cheap ( 'bout $950.00'ish), that equates to about $200 a channel. Considering that the Avalon U-5 and others cost $500.00'ish for just one channel, the Simon System RDB-400 is real deal considering the sound quality that justifies it ranking on the top list and features it has that most good single channel DIs don't..Thanks....

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search