18th August 2013

M-Audio ProFire 610 by Victorian Needle

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
M Audio ProFire 610

The ProFire 610 is very functional, very practical hardware that has everything you need on a basic level. Which makes this interface great for starting out, as well as having enough I/O so that you can upgrade around it for many years.

There is some things that could be considered drawbacks. You have to download the appropriate driver from the M Audio website to be able to get its full potential. It gives you software that makes this interface customizable and a lot of times essential. This part isn't a big of a deal as the next part as many people have access to Internet readily available. The part that may be a burden is that it is FireWire. My first computer when I bought this had the acceptable port, but my second did not and I had to buy a card just to make it work. It was crucial to buy the card because I would be spending even more on a new interface.

The converters are nice, but with interfaces in this budget range, it's obviously better to purchase an external preamp and run it into the line input.

There are 8 outputs on the back so that it can be ideal to run out into a mixer or use it for external processing. 2 line inputs and 2 preamps on the front side. Digi I/O with spdif. A whole slew of options that make it expandable to a majority of needs. Been using it for 5 years, never have had a problem.

10th September 2013

M-Audio ProFire 610 by OmegaP

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
M Audio ProFire 610

Today i'll be reviewing the M Audio Profire 610 it features 6 in's and 10 outs,a digital mixer and can be used for stand alone converter use.
My unit has been modified by the great Jim Williams over @ Audioupgrades.com,he replaced all of the caps and opamps.

First of all i would like to say that since the mod the unit has pristine audio quality that it did not have at first,the soundstage is great now. Preamps are dead quiet and very clean but not sterile sounding.

The profire's digital mixer give you decent control over you in's and outs it's not a strong point or weak one,just one i feel could have been better.
As for signal monitoring that's basically none existant,all you have here is clip lights for the preamps and nothing more this is a con for me,with the space on the unit they could have easily put in a basic level meter along with two preamp meters.

Overall i feel the profire 610 represents a great value for home studio users with 6 in's and 10 outs you should have more than enough to cover you needs.Along with it's very good latency numbers and good converters and pre's stock,the profire wont' put a hurting on your wallet.

You can't be this value even if you had a ten foot pole !!!

Review - Antonio Jordan