The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Marshall MG10CF

Marshall MG10CF

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Great practice amp!

25th July 2013

Marshall MG10CF by Nikhil Suresh

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

Wow, what a nice practice amp!

after weeks of demoing out various amps, small-medium size, I finally stumbled across an MG10CF in a local guitar shop, and even though i tested it with ****ty intro level ltd guitar, it sounded quite nice. just bought it today for $90

i tried out various other practice amps, like the laney lx12, the roland microcube (which i owned shortly when i just started playing), the line 6 spider 3 (15 watt, 30 watt and 75 watt)... the fender mustang II, some orange amp, the marshall mg30fx and also the marshall mg15cf (which is a 15 watt version of this with eq).. and well, to be honest this just seemed like the best fit for me.

This model, the mg10cf, just sounded much cleaner and warmer than the other amps mentioned, and the OD channel was quite pleasing, unlike the other amps in the price range such as the microcube and the lx12. The microcube just sounded absolutely digital and harsh, and the laney and not defined enough, just somehow lacking in terms of gain.... the other mg series were just too muddy and orange was absolute **** with od.

im quite picky with my od tones now, and this just seemed to do the trick, especially paired with the digitech tl-2 pedal, it sounded quite surprisingly sweet. even without the pedal, this amp sounded just right to me. the downside is that there is no eq on the thing, only a volume for the clean channel, gain knob, volume for the gain channel, and a contour knob.

The contour actually is quite, basically a mid boost/cut knob.. to go from that iron maiden sound to linkin park sorta sound.. but to me, it sounded best when it was leaning more towards the mid boost... the mid cut wasnt as pleasant sounding as the boosted feel. The thing is that since it has no eq controls the tone can be quite muddy, but hooking up a pedal to it does the trick beautifully.

Another nice feature is the headphones out which actually gives a nice tone, comparable to one of the m-audio blackbox (marshall patch i think it was).

Its got enough gain to cover any sort of genre, and a decent clean sound as well to compliment the gain channel. loud enough for a practice amp. havent driven it all the way to see how loud it goes, but im sure it can annoy the neighbours enough so they start hating you.

overall awesome practice amp. worth every penny.
only reason i gave a 3 for features is due to no eq and other amps in a similar price range have ****ty built in fx.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Marshall MG10CF
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search