The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
IGS AUDIO 500 SERIES S TYPE BUS COMPRESSOR

IGS AUDIO S-Type 500

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

The S-Type is a typical VCA compressor well known as the core of British sound. Used first in the SSL consoles produced in the 1980s. The heart of the compressor is the THAT chip instead of the now unavailable DBX.

25th July 2013

IGS AUDIO S-Type 500 by tank1978

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

Hi All

Just thought id post a review of my IGS S TYPE Bus Compressor.

Compressors I've compared the IGS against run through my UAD Apollo whether software/hardware

My Go to comps at the moment are

Software
Slate VBC
UAD Shadow Hills
Waves SSL
Brianworx Vertigo

Hardware
Elysia Xpressor (Rack)

Firstly you wont be disappointed with build quality its very good. Its great to use and much easier with the stepped pots plus it looks like it should be installed in a instrument panel of a polish Tank.

Id say the Eysia Xpressor is of better build aesthetically but clearly you'll have to shell out a quite a few hundred more depending on which route you take …..rack or the 500 series.

Sound wise.... Well ive doing some comparisons and made sure ive had all my levels correct and all I can say is that it makes any of my software comps sound a bit toyish……To be honest i was a bit pissed off after shelling out a few hundred quid on software comps of late and I tried so hard to convince myself that i just didn't have my levels right or something was adrift however this wasn't the case…..for the money this is an amazing comp especially if you make house music like myself……its just sounds so good i cant really put my finger on it.

I mean all the software comps I use are pretty impressive including the new VBC I'm falling in love with for that analogue sound and ease of use however anything you run through IGS just brings the bus to life and makes you grin.

It can be a very grabby compressor or it can just glue the mix together nicely but id say that although my Eylsia is cleaner sounding even with the warmth button engaged the elysia provides more sonic punch and the IGS provides a warmer grit.

To summarise if you're just getting into the 500 series range and want to purchase your first hardware Bus comp or better still just want a fantastic SSL clone for a fraction of the price ……don't even think about it just buy it already this really is a no brainer and a bloody fantastic compressor if you want that real ssl mojo…IGS have worked voodoo magic with this little box.

Although I'm still toying around with IGS compressor i think ill still run my drums through the elysia because i like them very hard and the IGS will always be on my master comp……as you can tell I'm very happy with the purchase and the price is insane…. buy it now before IGS realise they can demand a higher price Tag.

3 weeks ago

IGS AUDIO S-Type 500 by Bennettpan

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

I purchased a 2nd hand IGS Audio S-Type Comp at a fractioned of price.

I used to mix my own songs ITB for years but suddenly I had a thought to give a trial on mixing outboard. This 500-series Comp is my first stereo bus comp that I got and I was very impressed with its sound.

In general, if you love to use any software SSL comp plugin in your mixbus, probably you have to give a try on this 500-series comp, especially you have 500-series chassis in your rack. I have never used the original SSL hardware but this beast has little more features than the original one. Compression ratio, attack/release time, mix knob, HPF sidechain...Unlike the transparent SSL plugin, it instantly gives a little more vibe and warmth grit to your mix when engaged. As a mixbus comp, I usually compress the tracks using 2:1 ratio, fast/mid attack, and fast release. A slight (1-2dB max) GR is used, and it glues your entire mix together which makes it sound coherent. Now, I almost replace my ITB mixbus comp to IGS S-Type 500 to glue my mix before sending for mastering.

Apart from being a mixbus comp, I used it on drum OH, room, etc...With the mix knob, you can compress your sound source crazily and blended with your original source, meaning that you can get the squashed heavily compressed sound without losing the entire dynamics of your original source. I used this little trick on drum OH and room to give a big, punchy and open sound, and this greatly gives the liveness of your drum.

For me, this is a very transparent SSL-type compressor. It won't add much color to your tracks but for sure it opens up your entire mix. Considering the price of this comp, don't have to think deeply before you buy but directly get your credit card ready and enjoy.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search