25th July 2013

M-Audio Audiophile 2496 by needsLITHIUM

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
M Audio Audiophile 2496

96 KHz, 24-bit audio, with WordClock, Midi, and Co-Ax S/P-DIF in and out... the input and output are both stereo RCA. Not really much tho it. It works, and supports ASIO and Apple CoreAudio, and I have even gotten it to work quite well in Linux... I have been able to run low latency recording and play back of REAPER emulated on WINE in Linux Mint 13... It is sad to say, but PCI and PCI-e audio interfaces are going the way of the dinosaurs, because everyone loves USB, FireWire, and now the newest thing, Thunderbolt... Admittedly, Thunderbolt is likely the best thing out there, being that it has a theoretical throughput of 10 Gb/s, but PCI and PCI-e are way better than USB or FireWire... But, since everyone likes to be lazy, and to embrace the simplicity of "plug and play" connectivity, they are forgetting that PCI and PCI-e are faster, more stable/consistent, and are just better... I guess I'm just old school.

But, that being said, the Audiophile 192 has a better sample rate, and the Delta 1010-LT has more connections, and the Delta 1010 is just beast... but, for entry level, this thing does the trick