The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Teenage Engineering OP-1

Teenage Engineering OP-1 Portable Synthesizer Workstation

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Capable of some incredible sounds, the OP1 is a must have for the modern musician. It makes creating music fun and intuitive. A bit pricey, but completely worth it.

12th July 2013

Teenage Engineering OP-1 Portable Synthesizer Workstation by heyokay

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Teenage Engineering OP-1

I noticed that there weren't any reviews for this amazing synthesizer, so I thought I'd have a crack at one.

First of all, it has completely changed the way I write songs. I'm using it all the time, day and night. My work rate has sky rocketed, and it's all down to this little synthesizer. It's so easy, so fun and so inspiring to create music on.

It's easy to overlook just how powerful it is because it looks a bit like a toy and an expensive designer piece. It is not a toy in any stretch of the imagination, and it is worth every single penny.

With a synth, sound quality is everything. The OP1 is capable of some incredible sounds, and with the wide array of synth engines and effects it's able to produce pretty much every/any sound you could imagine.

It offers something completely different and refreshing compared to every other synthesiser on the planet. It is truly unique. It is clearly a synth aimed at the future, not looking back to the past. That does mean it won't be for everyone, but for the people it is aimed at, there is absolutely nothing better than it.

When I bought it originally, I wanted it as a sketchpad. A place where my ideas could get started, and then I'd go to Logic and expand on it. About six minutes after using it, I realised that it would not only be a place to start songs and ideas, but a place to create fully fledged tracks. The quality of the engines are phenomenal.

You get 4 tracks to play with, 9 synth engines, a drum sampler, a bunch of (awesome) FX's, all in this keyboard sized package. For me, it's basically powerful enough to boycott my DAW and record everything within the OP1 itself. However, you can export the individual tracks and place them in your DAW for further editing if you need/want to.

I recommend having a look at the videos on YouTube (djthomaswhite and cuckoomusic have some amazing videos in particular).

Pros:
-A large selection of completely unique synth engines
-Seemingly limitless ways to create and manipulate sounds
-Super intuitive layout and workflow
-I guarantee that your work rate will triple
-Portability. Use it al fresco, on the bus, train, plain... anywhere.
-Build quality (easily on par with Apple, to give you an idea)

Cons:
-The line output is a lickle noisy, but definitely not unusable. The work-around is to record everything within the OP1, then transfer those tracks into your DAW. No noise.
- The microphone is a bit of a joke. I'd use your own preamp and microphone if you need to record vocals/sounds.

So at the very least watch the videos, even better play on one if you can. When you realise what I realised, save up and get one. You will not regret it.

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search