The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Charter Oak CharterOak PEQ-1

Charter Oak PEQ-1

5 5 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

CharterOak PEQ-1 is powerful magic

10th July 2013

Charter Oak PEQ-1 by Hypnotic

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

This equalizer is AMAZING. Period. Once you consider the price, for a stereo unit, plus the fact that it is 110% capable on the mix bus or for mastering, it is STUNNING. (Okay, it's not cheap by normal people standards, but by audio professional standards, it's still a very good deal.) Yeah, I know I'm being dramatic, but this unit is dramatically excellent.

First off, this is a stereo unit, with one knob per band to control the left and right channels, so it is meant for stereo channels, which I love, because that means no fiddling around trying to match left and right. Also, each band can be switched to select anywhere from 2-3 frequencies.

Secondly, and maybe most importantly, it's got a 50k switch, which humans aren't supposed to hear. I'm no technician, all I know is that it makes EVERYTHING sound awesome, hi fi, finished, complete, magically wider.

There is no setting that sounds bad on this unit. It can accentuate or eliminate the most essential frequencies while sounding completely natural with no distortion. And it sounds great on anything from jazz to electro house.

I am a gear junkie, and this is definitely one of my prized possessions. I don't say that lightly. IMO, this is the perfect unit to throw on the mix bus or to use in a mastering application.

My only very slight criticism would be that it does not offer more freq bands. But the PEQ-1 is not meant as a high precision equalizer. It doesn't do the notch filter thing. If you have problem frequencies that need to be notched out, then software is where it's at, but if you need that extra touch of expensive sounding presence, or if you need to scoop out a little mud without the mix sounding unnatural, then this is it.

As an added note, this unit goes really well with Charter Oak's compressor. It's a perfect match.

The last thing I will say is that I don't work for that company and I have no affiliation whatsoever. It's just that awesome.

27th July 2013

Charter Oak PEQ-1 by angel72bg

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

I want to say that PEQ1 is amazing.
So musical,I try all of the frequency with boost,never sound bad.The mix always going better.
Also we compare PEQ1 with Avalon 2055(the unit is of friend of mine).
The PEQ1 was every time better ,a lot better.
The PEQ1 deserve to be one of the few in the mastering and mixing studios.

On a mix I boost 400 hz with 3 db and the mix do not sounds bad.
Also boost at 120hz realy good,or 1Khz I never heard 1Khz like this every plugin even Avalon 2055 sound nasal.Or 50Khz if I boost with 3-6 db and at first not big deal, but when turn off the PEQ1 like the roof collapse and like you broke down the speaker twitters.Realy
The transients are always there.The 60Hz kick your chest.
2Khz are amazing ,never souds harsh.
My words are weak to express myself how good the PEQ1 is.

PQE1 deserve twice the price.Realy

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Charter Oak CharterOak PEQ-1
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search