Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.5 4.5
Yamaha HS8

These speakers Yamaha HS8 is the new version of the 7 year old HS80M used by many as a tool for mixing music or just listening to music as i do with the new HS8.

The old hs has a low cut and mid trim where the new hs only has room control and high trim (which the old HS models also have), improvements are a better cabinet, new bas,midrange, a tweeter that goes all the way up to 30khz and a 6 db more quiet rear bassport.

The old HS80M which i never have owned (heard them many times) is a speaker that can be a bit agressive in the upper midrange lower tweeter and there for could be a bit fattigue where the smaller HS50M where to me more fattigue then the HS80M.

The HS8 are to me very neutral and theres absolutly no fattigue, personally i don't need a subwoofer or to adjust the sound using the high trim or room control, the sound is clean and open without sounding bright and unnatural

Theres 45 watt for the 1" tweeter and 75 watt for the 8" big bas/midrange where the amplifiers are surpose to be the same as the old ones in the hs80/50m, with their pro and cons,only the hs7 has a "new" amplifer they didn't used in the old hs, a speaker like the more expensive but also very popular adam a7x has 100/150 watt, but the total of 120 watt, each speaker has is for my taste and room more then enough, they can be really loud, enough for the neighbors to hear exactly what you are playing.

As i have mentioned in the begining, i use them only for listening to music and they sound just great, with lots of power, no typical bright sound with either to much or not enough bass, music sounds as they are recorded without the speakers adding something to the sound that most hifi speaker do.

If you want to use them for professional use or just to listen to music they will do the job, they are bang for the buck, big speaker where you don't need a subwoofer, lots of power and most importent good sound for a resonable price.
By homestudioguy on 13th July 2013
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Overall: 4.25 4.25
Yamaha HS8

This is Quick-Review for NEW YAMAHA HS SERIES MONITORS (not just HS8-Gearslutz choices are not current for this series, otherwise I would have chosen HS7)

I spent some time yesterday at the Guitar Center in Chicago (2633 N Halsted St, Chicago, IL 60614) listening to the newly released Yamaha HS5, HS7 and HS8 Monitors.

The process was not “scientific” per se as I listened only to pre-recorded music (Bruno Mars-Just the Way You Are, Brad Paisley-Alcohol and Cheap Trick-I Want You to Want Me-Live.)

My personal goal in this is to replace my KRK Rokit 5’s (V1) as they do not/never did provide the clarity I need for mixing (very muddied in the Mids and very little clarity in the Lows). In fact, I can get a much better and more useable mix via my Avantone Cubes vs the KRKs.

In regards to the Yamahas, I found it interesting that this GC only had out the HS5s and HS8s. However, the young man who was assisting me was more than willing to pull out a fresh pair of HS7s.

To make what could be a long story, short, the HS5s were very midrange forward and almost brash whereas with the HS7, the highs and mids were clearly there but not over emphasized.

The HS8s sounded really “great” over all and similar in nature to some degree with my M-Audio BX8as in the Low-End Arena. However, when comparing the HS7 to the HS8 while doing a back and forth comparison of Kick-Drums, the Kick seemed to be (over?) emphasized with the HS8 where it was clear and apparent in the HS7 but not emphasized.

From another perspective, the HS7 is definitely NOT a monitor I’d use for general music listening whereas the HS8 would fare much better in that capacity.

In my personal opinion, the HS7 will be a better match for my needs as it seemed “flatter” across the spectrum of sound compared to the HS5 and HS8 plus it has more bass end response compared to the HS5.

*Although I did not hear any of them with the new Yamaha HS8S Subwoofer, I can imagine how nice it would be to add it to the HS7s as opposed to the HS5s.
Bob G
By Zack Daniels on 25th September 2013
User review
Sound Quality
5 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.75 4.75
Yamaha HS8

Information
The HS8 is the largest of 3 speakers from the new HS line.(HS5, HS7, HS8)
The HS5 is an updated HS50M.
The HS7 is a newer mid sized (6.5" Cone Woofer) which is closer to NS10 ( the classic studio monitor )
Depending on your needs, you have options.
If you have a smaller room and bass response is no concern I would recommend the HS5 or HS7 for a little more bass.
Otherwise, the HS8 is perfect for a bigger room with plenty of space.

My Experience
-----------------------
I've owned a pair of HS80M's for two years and relied on them for every one of my mixes so my opinion on the Hs8's is based on previous experience with the HS80m's.
I love the way the HS80's sound, but after listening to the HS8's at my local Long and Mcquade for an hour I decided It was time for an upgrade.

What's The Difference?
-----------------------------------------------
Design -
Yamaha has redesigned the cabinet as well as a few other components on the HS8 Monitors.
I've compiled a list of changes.

The most obvious upgrades are aesthetically.
There's a new, more rounded rim around the woofer as well as the removal of the black lines that sit right in the middle of the Cone Woofer on the HS80m's.
There's also a slight difference in weight
Hs8 - 12.5 kg
Hs80 -13.2 kg

----------------------------------------------------
Better Frequency Response

HS8: 38Hz - 30kHz
HS80m: 42Hz - 20kHz

-Updated Drivers (New Tweeter {30khz} and Woofer).
- Updated Bass Ports (They are now roughly -6db quieter which means a more controlled Low end)
- Yamaha removed the internal shielding to improve magnet efficiency
- Acoustic controls on the rear are different from the HS80's, in fact there's now only two controls from the four on the HS80's.

Room Control
( 0db, -2db, -4db )
High Trim
(+2db, 0db, -2db)

Mid Eq and Low Cut have been removed on the HS8's.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Sound -
Sonically, the HS8's sound clearer throughout the entire frequency spectrum.
The Lows are certainly more tame than the HS80's. There's a round, warm, controlled sound to the bass that was often out of control on the HS80's ( even with low cut adjusted ).
Although, there is some low, low end lacking.
If deep subby bass is necessary for you, maybe consider buying an HS8S Subwoofer to go with the pair.
The Mids are clearer and more present.
The highs aren't so "spicy" or "noisy", they sound very "crisp" without sounding noisy or annoying.
I was quite surprised to hear the notorious "Hissing" sound was almost completely gone from the HS8's as the HS80's suffered from that problem.
When no audio is playing in the HS80's there's a very loud, noticeable hiss sound that comes from the tweeters. Glad they fixed that one.

I Compared them to a pair of Adam A8X's and while the A8X's sounded a little "crisper" and "Clearer"
I liked the overall performance of the HS8's. I found the higher end of the A8X's to be a little too clear and not as well balanced wit the low's as I would have like. Maybe it's because I was already used to the HS80's sound. either way great deal.

Overall, At $349 each, the Yamaha HS8's are a steal of a deal for how great they sound. The HS8's are much better for listening to music longer without fatigue and Certainly a step up from the HS80's in terms of clearness and quality. I would highly recommend them to anybody looking to get into some great sounding Active Monitor speakers for a fraction of the price of similar sounding speakers. Happy mixing!
By DynaVibe on 10th March 2014
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.5 4.5
Yamaha HS8

An accurate representation of audio while working on a project is of the highest importance to anyone working in the professional audio field. Whether you are an audio for film guy/gal or a music mixer or even a live mixer working outside the venue, you need a great pair of studio monitors. I have even found that musicians that do their own recordings tend to have better tracks if they have great monitoring in a well-treated space. Though there is a lot of weight placed upon the room in which you work, there is a lot that a great set of monitors can do for you with proper placement.

As a mix engineer, I have put a variety of studio monitors through their paces. From the standards like Yamaha’s NS10 and Makie’s Hr824 to the more recent Focal offerings as well as Bowers and Wilkins, there is a lot of variety out there, and the process of finding the right monitor for you can be an arduous process. I recently went through this process as I retro-fitted my home workspace with a new mix studio. Luckily for me, I have a very patient gear representative, and we were able to land on a set, that over the last few months, I have really grown to understand and don’t know what I would do without.

After several trials, I landed on a magnificent pair of Yamaha’s HS8s, an update from their previous HS80M from all I can tell. The monitors themselves are actually on the cheaper side of things retailing for $349-$399 each. Some may think $800 is a lot for a pair of monitors, but considering the competition (which can cost several thousand dollars per speaker), I was relieved to love them as much as I do now. As far as monitors go, I wouldn’t say they are the flattest, but they have just enough of a curve to make them pleasing for those long hour days. This particular monitor has an 8” cone woofer in the classic Yamaha bright white as well as a 1” dome tweeter covered by a mesh grill reminiscent to the NS10s. They are bi-amplified with 120W of total power, sporting a gain control on the rear, along with a room control and a HF trim control which cuts or boosts 2dB at 2kHz. I found the HF trim particularly useful as my first two mixes came out a little bright for my tastes so a 2dB bump at 2kHz made me a bit more aware of this, and every mix since has been spot on. According to Yamaha, the frequency range starts at 38Hz, which I agree with, and goes clear on up to 30kHz, which we will never hear. The construction is solid and the two balanced inputs (one XLR and one TRS) seem quite reliable. The on/off switch is located on the back and when switched on, the Yamaha logo on the front of the Monitor glows a nice white. All in all, for my minimal aesthetic tastes, they are quite appealing.
The look and feel matter little in the world of audio…so how do they sound? This is where things get a bit tricky as I was able to test these in an environment that I was familiar with, so your first impressions may differ. To put my thoughts into context, prior to my purchase I was mixing on a pair of Dynaudio BM-5As and was looking for a larger speaker for the new, bigger room. On my first listen, these speakers sounded great! Not flat or accurate, but great. Obviously this is not what I wanted for the studio but maybe for the living room. I had been tricked throughout the years that great studio monitors cannot also sound great…I was wrong. I took them home for the week after battling over some of the other options; Adam A7X, Equator D8 and the Presonus Scepter S8. My main motivation was clearly the sound to price comparison and I figured they were worth the try. I am not big on skimping on gear, so I was prepared to make a bigger purchase if necessary but for the price it was a no brainer to take them home for a test run. Overall, I was quite pleased (after playing music for 8 hours while I was asleep) my first mix on the HS8s was quite a fun experience. The depth and clarity, once I got them into my beloved equilateral triangle, was incredible! The frequency response was spot on and the mix turned out great.

As stated above my only gripe would be that my mixes came out bright to my taste before I started using the HF trim feature, but it is there and that is what it is for, so use it if you need to. My room is treated and the speakers are about three feet from the wall so to this day I have not had to use the room control. The midrange is forward and exquisitely detailed making the process of EQ for vocals a pleasure. The low mid, 120Hz-250Hz is present and the ability to hear the mud around 300Hz is crucial to getting a great mix. They can get loud if I need to impress a client, but all the frequencies seem to stay in relatively the same place as I lower the volume for everyday mixing. The most impressing thing I found while using these speakers for the last 2-3 months is the accuracy of the stereo image and the detail you can hear in the bottom without a sub! There is enough bass for mixing to be fun but it isn’t overwhelming or boomy, in fact it is quite focused.

To sum up, if you are on the fence, bite the bullet and buy. And if you’re in the market, make sure that these great monitors are a consideration. Once you hear the detail and translation you won’t regret it!
By Bcsteene on 11th April 2014
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.75 4.75
Yamaha HS8

Yamaha HS 8's are designed after the highly sought after and widely popular NS 10's. Why were the NS 10's so popular? It was because of their transparency - if your mix sounded good on the NS 10's, it would sound good on anything! The HS 8's are self powered, and easy to setup with inputs for TRS and XLR. They have a level adjustment on the back as well as room adjustment and high trim (although I found I did not need to change either of these settings). The HS 8's deliver a clean flat tone without the need for an additional subwoofer to hear the lows. The highs and lows are not hyped, and there is a good flat, true level throughout the 38Hz - 30kHz frequency response (of course pending your room you monitor and mix in is also flat). I find myself loving to mix through these, the sounds are not harsh and are usually true to what I hear in the room (while tracking a violinist, the band exclaimed "sounds like he is right here in the control room playing!") They are very true to sound and I find my mixes translate extremely well after mixing through these monitors. I gave them a slight lower rating than a 5 just because they are not the top of the line monitors, however, they are in my opinion one of the best bang for buck near field monitors out there and I would not hesitate to buy again!
Topic:

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search