The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Randall BMF Tube Amp

Randall BMF Tube Amp

5 5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

RANDALL BMF 100 WATT TUBE AMPLIFIER

1st June 2013

Randall BMF Tube Amp by kudogg

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

Purchased this BMF off the craiglist.com for 450 bucks with the footswitch. It's a two channel amp, clean and dirty and I am super impressed with this amp. Couldn't find much about it, I read one review where the guy thought it sucked, then other reviews were glowing. I was compelled to add my input, as this is one of the best amps I've ever played.

The manual says it was designed for professional artists. And many websites say it was designed for Slash.

My experience: (aka should you listen to me?) Been playing for 22 years as of June 1, 2013. I am mostly a Marshall amp guy, my favorites being the JCM800 series, but my 6100 LE, 30th Anniversary is my all time favorite. I've had several JMPs one 1987X, a JCM900, a JMP1 through a EL34 100/100. Never played a silver jubilee, which this Randall is supposed to emulate.

Other than Marshalls? Carvin MTS3200, VT50, X100B. Fender Pro Sonic, Fender Red Knob "Evil Twin", Fender Bronco, Digitech 2101, Digitech 1101, Valve FX, Rocktron Prophesy. Mesa Triple Rec, Dual Rec.

Guitars? Les Pauls, Vintage Japanese Guitars, my prized 61 Reissue LEs Paul (really an SG), a boatload of Ibanez guitars, Arias, matsumoku makes.

THIS RANDALL BMF: Has a boatload of features. Different power settings, different biases. 3 gain stages for the distortion channel, presence, etc.

CLEAN CHANNEL: This clean has bell like tones, with plenty of mid/bass character. The notes jump out of the amp, it has the sensitivity and response of a higher gain channel, but remains clean. It's unique, not like a Fender Twin, but very responsive and expressive. I am thoroughly impressed. It's almost too good to be true, can't stop messing with this clean channel, so simple, but done to perfection. Never found a clean channel I liked better than this amp. Must hear it to believe it. I have to rate this a 10 out of 10.

DISTORTION: To me, the amp excels at low/mid gain (all gains set at 5) applications. The notes are crisp and distortion is growly vs. harmonic. There are harmonics, but it has more of jcm800 tone. Amp does not have woodsy/breathy tone that a JMP would have, but more focused tones, very similar to Slash's tone on Appetite for Destruction. Soulful and wonderful. A solid 9. I haven't experimented with high gain settings, very briefly, so won't comment. The settings above produce such musical expressive tones I stopped there. This amps tones are wonderful, leaving nothing to be wanted. I am again thoroughly impressed with the souldful, musical nature of this amplifier. Would rate it a 10, but the high gain applications haven't produced something I am wowwed by, but I haven't played those settings much.

SPECIAL NOTE: I noticed that this amp sounds the absolute best with my high quality Les Paul copy, which is all real wood and high end pickups. I played one of my junky guitars through it and it did not sound nearly as good. Yes, all amps soudn better with a better guitar, but this amp seems to be very discerning amongst different guitars, even more so, than pickups.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Randall BMF Tube Amp
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search