The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TK Audio TK-lizer

TK Audio TK-lizer

4.9 4.9 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

A Baxandall type EQ,

23rd May 2013

TK Audio TK-lizer by Chris900

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
TK Audio TK-lizer

First a word of caution: This is not your ordinary review (I don't mention all the frequency points etc), but rather a description of how I worked with this unit plus some audio clips that those interested can listen to in hope that somebody might find it useful).

Since I'm a firm believer of "action speaks louder than words" or to be even more blunt "to talk about music is like dancing about architecture" I thought I'd upload two snippets of a track: one unprocessed and one processed. This is far from a scientific shootout, so if you're looking for that sort of thing you'll have to look elsewhere. And since I don't really like doing shootouts for the sake of shootouts, I decided to use the TK-lizer in a real-world situation. In this case it's a song that I recorded and mixed a couple weeks ago. I really liked the mix but felt the it would definitely benefit from a little mastering. Enter the TK-lizer. What was bugging me the most about the mix, was that I found it a little bass heavy, especially in the sub area. Therefor I engaged the high pass filter of the TK-lizer at 30hz to get rid of some of that excessive low end. I also took out half a dB at 132 Hz to clear up the track further. Since I had put the TK-lizer in m/s mode I added just a touch of 16 kHz to the middle, since I felt the acoustics panned left and right really didn't need any more top (I wasn't really aiming for a super bright sound). Using the gain controls I widened the track slightly to make the vocal sit a bit better in the mix. As icing on the cake I added yet another product of TK's, namely VintageDesign Cl1. Ratio set to 2:1 meters barely moving, not compressing more than 1 dB or so. Voila! There you have it. You be the judge whether you like what the TK-lizer plus Cl1 brought to the table on this specific track. All I can say is TK knows what he's doing, that's for sure.

The only thing I miss feature wise would be a low pass filter like the Dangerous BAX EQ has, but at this price pont you really can't complain.

Download the files (16/44.1) here:

References | Analog Sweetening

3rd October 2013

TK Audio TK-lizer by mike vee

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
TK Audio TK-lizer

This piece has been one of the biggest game changers I own.

First of all, at $1600 dollars, you cannot beat this EQ:
- stepped controls
- 3 bands - high and low switchable between BAX and bell
- extremely useful mid band
- mid / side operation
- output level controls
- stereo width adjustment
- HPF (can mono bass in M/S mode)

This EQ sounds amazing. I was having a tough time deciding to buy from a smaller company like TK, but I should have just taken the plunge months before because it has been a VERY pleasing experience.

It's kinda subtle but perfect at what it does. The build quality is great and it looks amazing in the rack. Similar to the A-designs hammer / nail type vibe. The only thing quite like it is the Dangerous BAX, which I have owned as well. It was nice, however, this is 800 dollars less than the BAX and has twice the features. The mid band alone makes it MUCH more useful, but the features don't stop there.

But how does it sound? AMAZING!! Just as good as the BAX easily. Again, subtle but just a tad sweet and does exactly what you want. I use it on the 2 bus and it has taken my mixes to another level for sure. I use it in M/S mode from the start and once the mix gets about half way done, I start sweetening the mix with this EQ and giving it some width by tuning up the side channels 1 to 2 dB. A little 72 boost on the mid, some 12K boost on the sides, some 4.8 in the middle to focus...it's just amazing. And its all subtle enough for daily use on the mix bus. It gives you the ability to get your mix sounding magical with more shimmer and deeper bass and tuned/focused mids. The output levels come in extremely handy (being stepped) for the mix bus gain staging. (For instance, I can feed my apogee soft limiter after this EQ and recall those settings later)

HIGHLY recommended. Also, the owner, TK is such an amazing guy. He will do all kinds of custom stuff to any of the units at your request.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... TK Audio TK-lizer
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search