The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shure SRH-840

Shure SRH840

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 4 Reviews

If you are a 7506 user, then these will be a nice upgrade for you.

20th May 2013

Shure SRH840 by hakanai

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Shure SRH-840

They have a similar midrange bump to the 7506's that makes distortion come right out at you, but they also have the ends of the spectrum that the 7506's seem to be missing. Not dead flat but decently flat, definitely nice and informative.
Build quality is good, and they are comfortable.
I wish they folded a little bit smaller. The wire detaches from the ear cup, which is nice. It would be nice if the offered a straight wire as an option to the coiled.

All in all, they are nice and the only thing I would consider better at the price is the Beyer DT770 250ohm. But those will sound weird to a long time 7506 user.

14th July 2013

Shure SRH840 by Nick Di Lorenzo

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Shure SRH-840

I've had these headphones for 3 years. From when I was just beginning my studies and till now where I intern in commercial studio spaces.

I have found these headphones decently flat and EXTREMELY useful to cross reference mixes with. That's because I've gotten very well to know where the bumps are in the mid range.

I would recommend them to pretty much anyone however there is one design flaw that I am always scared will cause damage to them the cabling to the speaker to allow rotation is thin and loosely on the exterior. It wouldn't be very pleasant if this cable broke.

But back to the headphones, Good headphones. Love em.

21st August 2013

Shure SRH840 by con_thafam

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Shure SRH-840

After owning many pairs of headphones (2X Sony's MDR7506, M-Audio's IE10, BeyerDynamic's DT770 Pro, Sennheiser's HD380), I was still in the market for something better. I went to my local guitar center to try out Shure's SHR840, and literally after listening to them for only like 3 minutes, I looked up at the sales guy and said "I'll take them". I was sold!

Finally some affordable cans I can describe as FLAT!

Here's what I love about these:

The sound is super flat, and I can clearly hear every frequency. (Very revealing with any genre of music)

The bass is just loud enough for me to hear, but doesn't mask up the lower mids like the Beyerdynamics do.

The mid range is not harsh, and I can track loud vocals without making my ears bleed. (Don't track anything too loud with the 7506s. Trust me!)

Great build, and they feel very "hefty"! (Significantly heavier then any pair I have owned).

Very comfortable, and it has a "pillowy" surface on top.

A couple of bonuses:
The cable is removable. (Shure also offers a straight cable instead of the coiled one that comes with it)
They come with replacement ear pads, and a little (p)leather carrying pouch .

Before you spend $500+ on cans be sure to try these out .
The Shure SRH840's just might meet your needs!

Ps.: I honestly have no complaints about these headphones.

29th January 2016

Shure SRH840 by Strangeland

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Shure SRH-840

There is something special about these headphones and I'll try to explain what that is here. First off, they are not flat, they are not uncolored, and they are not super fast/clear. All that being said, my mixes translate so much better because of these headphones.

I also own the model up, the SRH940, which, assessing by the same criteria, should much superior. However, the end result is that my mixes on the higher end SRH940's turn out drier, duller, and less beefy. I check my mixes on Yamaha MSP monitors, my car, and various other sources. The end result is that the mixes predominantly done on the SRH840's translate much much better across all sources, which is the ultimate goal.

These headphones provides very good isolation during tracking too. I have yet to get any bleed when recording vocals into a Pearlman TM1 with the backing track at medium to high levels.

The build quality of these headphones seem pretty solid. Mine are either on my head, on the desk, or in a drawer, so I haven't done any really rugged testing of them. They come with some nice extras: straight cable, extra ear cups, etc.

For under $200, these headphones are a really great tool and they have honestly exceeded what I expected from them out of the box. I would highly recommend them.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search