The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shure SRH940

Shure SRH940

3.6 3.6 out of 5, based on 3 Reviews

Designed for professional audio engineers and in-studio talent, these headphones deliver accurate response across the entire audio spectrum for smooth high-end extension with tight bass.

20th May 2013

Shure SRH940 by neeko

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Shure SRH940

I found these headphones to be very smooth and more-or-less neutral sounding (with a slight lift in the midrange, from perhaps 1 to 3 kH). Transients are well represented, and the high frequencies seem balanced (great for analytical work). If there’s a down side, it’s that the bass is a bit too tight. Overall, a great set of cans! 4/5

4th September 2015

Shure SRH940 by PB+J

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 1 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.5
Shure SRH940

I work semi-professionally from a home studio, doing background music for education related web projects and mixing and recording bands. I bought these because I wanted a very good set of headphones for home use.

On the plus side: very detailed sound, maybe a little light in the bass--I always found my headphone mixes to be a bit bassy in translation. But that's my fault. They are extremely comfortable to wear for long periods. Very good seal around the ear.

The problem is they are extremely flimsy. Both of the earcups broke off the headband, each in a different way/place. They are made of a flimsy plastic that is just not up to the task of professional use. I've done a reasonably durable but ugly repair on each, but when they break for good I'll be looking for another brand with more robust construction.

Shure should be producing better made stuff at this price point

29th January 2016

Shure SRH940 by Strangeland

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 1 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 1 out of 5
  • Overall: 2.75
Shure SRH940

I am writing this review in contrast to my review of the SRH840 which I like quite a bit better. First off, let me say that these are very good headphones in terms of sound quality. They are every flat, except for a steep bump around 10K which can make your mixes sound dull on other sources. These are headphones that you need to "know" in order to mix on them but I guess that goes for anything. These headphones are extremely clear and you will hear details you never knew were in some of your favorite songs. The bass response is remarkably unhyped for headphones and this was one of the big draws for me in purchasing them, since I mix in a small room and do not trust the accuracy of the bass response in my room.

My biggest gripe with these headphones is the downright terrible (and terrible is an understatement) build quality. The first pair I owned cracked in the extension arms of the headband in several places so that the ear cups did not cover my ears firmly. I should mention that I was very careful with them because I had been warned about the build quality prior to buying them. I find the shoddy build odd considering that you can run some Shure products over with a tank and they'll keep on ticking.

Anyway, Shure replaced them for free, but, you guessed it, the replacement pair started cracking too, so now I have to rest the headband farther back on my head so the cups fit over my ears without extending the arms. It's pretty annoying and not very comfortable.

The headphones do sound very good but I think there is a learning curve with them due to the high end spike. Also, the fast drivers make my mixes turn out dry so I have to consciously compensate for that in my workflow. Anyway, I would consider steering away from them due to the build quality. I would recommend the SRH840s in their place.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Shure SRH940
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search