The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope Audio Orion 32

Antelope Audio Orion32

4.7 4.7 out of 5, based on 6 Reviews

Hands down- Antelope Orion 32

13th May 2013

Antelope Audio Orion32 by angel72bg

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Antelope Audio Orion 32

Hi,All
I want to share with you my touch to the Antelope Orion 32.
The sound from that box i pro level.(Punch,focued bass,3D,very detailed.)
But I realy was shock when I open Pro Tools 10.3.5 on win7 64 bit.
My comp has CPU Q9400 4 GB RAM(DDR2).
On buffer of 128 I recording 8 tracks with 90% load in UAD Quad.
Before I used my Focusrite 56 ,and never was able to recording and play UAD plugins stable buffer of 1024 below.
Realy the Orion is rock stable.I feel like I bought new powered computer.
Thank You Antelope audio.
I do not know how you write USB driver,but my FireWire is dead from now.

I can talk all day long how I impressed from Orion 32,but that is enough.

17th September 2013

Antelope Audio Orion32 by PhaseLinear

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Antelope Audio Orion 32

Most people only want to know if it sounds good.
Yes, it does but there are many other things you should consider.

First of all, its ease of use. The Orion control panel is quite easy
to operate and the routing of the channels is a breeze.

Second, the number of I/O and connectivity options.
There are 32 analog inputs and outputs that you can use with
USB, MADI, ADAT and SPDIF.

Third, the overall stability. I had no complaints or whatsoever about Orion.
First I had difficulty updating the firmware and found out it didn't like
the usb cable I used. Replaced it with the one that came with the Orion
itself and it worked. After the update, I had no problems at all.

One other quality factor is the build quality. In which Orion excels.
The OLED display looks very beautiful and aluminium finish is very cool.
At the back, sockets and connectors are mounted sturdily to the panel.

Finally... The sound of Orion is standard setting in terms of channel count.
I think, Antelope achieves this kind of sonics by making good clocks and
good analog paths. I can describe its AD as "soft" "musical" "balanced" and
the DA as "detailed". I cannot comment much on the DA side because I am
using Dangerous D-Box's DA almost exclusively. Obviously, D-Box's DA is
a bit better than the Orion.

In conclusion, Antelope Orion is a high channel count versatile interface
with excellent sonics and ergonomics.

27th November 2013

Antelope Audio Orion32 by Nick Di Lorenzo

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Antelope Audio Orion 32

I waited a few weeks to post this review as I wanted to run the orion through and thorough.

It is a solid little unit which holds up excellently.

There is only one minor issue, the DB25 connections at the back are spaced a little close together which can be annoying upon installation.

But that's my only complaint

20th March 2014

Antelope Audio Orion32 by guitarz

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Antelope Audio Orion 32

Antelope Audio is well known in the pro audio industry for its excellent Digital Clocks and Converters.
It has now entered the market with a 32 channel converter in a small 1U box and with tremend bang for the buck. You get 32 Channel IO for around 2500 Eur Street price.

Features:
The Orion is a 32 channel ad/da converter and a USB 2.0 DAW Interface. Running a proprietary USB driver it has the ability to use all the interfaces at the same time even at a modest PC or MAC.
It features a clean Brushed Aluminum front with a high resolution color display featuring the sampling rate and full metering for the Input and output channels. Nine buttons select the sampling frequency and presets.
The Orion32 supports sample rates up to 192 kHz. Its internal clock is a 4th Generation Clock with 64-bit DDS and an Oven-Controlled Crystal Oscillator. It can be clocked externally using for example the famous Antelope Atomic clock.
IO is featured in the back using DSUB connectors for the 32 analog Inputs and Outputs. It also has a SPDIF IO and 4 ADAT connections and two MADI IO

The Control Panel:
Installation is really easy and I had no problems with my Windows 7 PC.
The Control panel has two major windows. One where all the routing is made and one for the internal Mixing.
The layout is well organized although the routing can be a little confusing at first. After you get used to the philosophy you just have to drag and drop the Inputs to the corresponding outputs.
The mixer is very convenient and works really well, you can have 4 presets for example for different tracking needs or for mixing.
Major fault for me is that you cannot write a tag on the channels to identify what is on each channel. If you have a really complex recording it’s easy to forget what you have on each channel. This would be a really cool and simple addition to this great control panel.

In use:
I did the tests with a PC running Windows 7 and Cubase 7 64 bit.
In the first sessions I ran into a couple of stability problems, sometimes channels wouldn’t appear where they were supposed and even changing from one input on the DAW to another. Really strange issues. After opening a ticket with support and a really prompt reply I reverted back to Cubase 7 32bits.
Major change, now everything went smoothly and worked as expected. Antelope support told me that a problem with the Cubase 7.0 DLLs caused an erratic behavior with the Orion's Drivers. (Also got an email latter from Antelope saying that Cubase 7.5 fixed this issue) I did upgrade to 7.5 but I kept the 32bit version as its way more stable if you are running some 32bit plugins yet but that’s another story...
In my dual core 3Ghz 3 year old PC I had to put the streaming mode to safe as I had a few hiccups playing a lot of channels with the default settings. In Safe mode everything is smooth and no issues whatsoever.

Sound Quality
Comparing head to head with my Lavry Blue the difference is a splitting hair.
I wanted the Lavry Blue to be a lot better but If anything I can only say that the Lavry sounded a little more organic. The difference is so negligible that I'm selling the Lavry Blue as I don’t think it is worth keeping both.

Conclusions
I can only say good things about the Orion. Well built, great features, good bang for the buck and most important sound quality that doesn’t disappoint.
Still with room for improvement on the control panel side I hope Antelope team continues to develop the software side.
For all the people expressing concerns about 32 channels in a single rack unit fear nothing. This unit delivers!
I would definitely recommend buying one!

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Antelope Audio Orion 32
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search