The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Peavey 6505+ Guitar Amp

Peavey Electronics 6505+ Guitar Amp

5 5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Reincarnation of the 2 channel Monster 5150 Amp.

20th January 2013

Peavey Electronics 6505+ Guitar Amp by chaosgow

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

Introduction

After spending years gigging with a Mesa, I decided it was time for a change and went on a new quest for my perfect sound. I tried a lot of high gain, medium gain and clean amps, and settled on the Peavey 6505+ Head. It was originally called the 5150 but Eddie took that name with him when he went to Fender for his new product line. It's a 2 channel, high gain, 120w all valve head and it's loud as hell.

Build Quality

I consider this to be one of the stand out features of this amp. The build is bullet proof. I've left my amp on for 2 weeks with the tubes being pushed hard (On holiday, it was a mistake) and I've continued to neglect it in other ways. It's never let me down in hundreds of gigs, rehearsals and jams. After at least 5 years, I'm still yet to need a service or tube change. One thing that I did find a little flaky was the footswitch cable, I've replaced that which is easy since it's just a 5 pin midi cable.

Sound Quality

There are 2 channels to the 6505+. For me, the EQ on both channels is a case of setting to 12 o clock, dail in the presence and go. You can adjust for each room/guitar combo really easily and let your hands do the rest.

Clean
Even at the lowest gain settings it's still crunchy and will break up really early, especially if you pick hard. I managed to clean it up further with pedals but it was a bit of work. It's still a very pleasant sound and great for blues. The power tubes break up really nicely when you're on the clean channel but you have to get pretty loud for that to happen. It plays very well with distortion, overdrive and boost pedals which was a pleasant suprise. The clean channel has a boost switch

Drive
This is where your face melts. There's plenty of great bands that use the 6505 sound as thier main sound. I love the amount of gain and how the sound changes as you roll up the gain and volume. Most of the famous bands that use the amp are metal bands but I've found you can get so much more out of this monster of an amp. Roll the gain right off and you can get a great, sparkly crunch that's great for blues. Push it up a little and you're in classic rock territory pretty fast. Anything past that and you're either playing metal or a shred solo. I like to put the gain at 5 and put a Tube Screamer in front of it to push the tubes. That's at my favorite gain stage.

Features

120w all valve
6 12AX7 Preamp Tubes and 4 6L6GC Power Tubes.
2 Channels (Footswitchable)
Boost on Clean Channel (Footswitchable)
FX Loop (Footswitchable)
2 speaker outs with OHM switch.
EQ, volume and gain for each channel.
Presence and Resonance (Bass response) controls for each channel.

Overall

If you're looking for a high gain, bullet proof amp that's loud enough to play anywhere, then this is it.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Peavey 6505+ Guitar Amp
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search