The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Heil Sound Pro Set 3 closed headphones

Heil Sound Pro Set 3

4 4 out of 5, based on 1 Review

6th November 2012

Heil Sound Pro Set 3 by frans

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4

I got the new headphones by Heil Sound and here's my impression. In the studio they get used for tracking, I got 8 other headphones which cater to different needs. (open, closed, half-ish)They all have to got one thing in common: stay on the head while we are at it. Because it's called tracking not "fumbling with one hand while still trying to play your instrument" They passed that test, so how do they sound? Not neutral, to disagree with the text on the Heil website. More like the Audio Technica ATHM50, the most popular amongst my studio headphones. Just with even more low mids. You could complain that they aren't neutral, but I LIKE them. Because if I have to judge phase relationships and how signals combine then I need to hear low end. The musicians like them because they hear the root notes clearly. At about 100.- I consider them a good deal.
So what's not to like about them? Same as with the ATHM50: the earpieces can be folded away (for the jetset who wants to take them to their DJ gig in Rio or "mix" with their laptop on a plane) and twist or swivel. Half of the time we fumble a few seconds before all the moving parts are arranged so it fits a human head again. This is the part where the marketing department and me disagree. How they will survive falling on the floor, being stumbled over, pulling their cords and all, time will tell. At least it comes with three removable cables - two of them with mini jack plugs (the worst connection for audio known to mankind, IMO) which is great, because things break and I got two spare cables to solder a real plug on to. Way back I had Sennheiser headphones which did have a single steel wire for a cable - a bitch to solder but nearly indestroyable even by the standards of a hectic tracking session. If anybody from marketing is listening... which the bigger companies never seem to do, btw. ...thank your for two spare cables! Not as comfortable to wear for a long time as the RemoteAudio headphones, but those cost nearly three times as much. Oh, and for the name: "pro" the most worn word in audio, has completely lost any meaning. The name is daft. Why not call them something like "Heilphones" (you can use the name, just send me a PR 30 or 40 and I sign all the legal paperwork) which would be a name with more meaning and more identity - in short: proper branding.
Conclusion: headphones by Bob Heil. Bob Heil! The MAN! You will like them.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Heil Sound Pro Set 3 closed headphones
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search