The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lachapell Audio 983s

LaChapell Audio Model 983S

5 5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

5th November 2012

LaChapell Audio Model 983S by Denny C

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Lachapell Audio 983s

For my needs, I like to purchase high quality gear that can possibly serve multiple applications. I had been in the market for a dual channel pre...

On a side note, I have been blessed with owning some mighty fine sounding single channel pres, Chandler TG Channel, BAE, Mercury M72, UA610. All of these pres are rich and full sounding. For a 2 channel, I was looking for big sounding piece with variety in tone and a nice feature set.

The 983s is, of course, a high end pre modeled after the highly successful 583s 500 series pre. LF response is slightly expanded is this unit. However, the big feature for me is the inclusion of the HPF on each channel, as well as, a LPF on each channel! It has the normal 48v phantom, a pad switch, and a front panel DI...love the lighted switches. For some of you, the fact that it is in a compact single space rack format might be a consideration. However, for me the most important aspect is the sound quality.

In use: I fired up the 983s last night and worked on some vocals, and found
a sound that was very sweet sounding and big. A great aspect of this pre is that it can range from a "clean" sort of neutral sound to a warm tube sound with some "girth". My voice is not that "pretty" so I always appreciate a little help. If you are or record someone born with a beautiful voice you can dial down the "warmth" as you feel is necessary---lots of headroom. I ran my keyboards through the DI and it is a great sound. I haven't run my guitar through it yet, but I will very soon. By the way, Scott backs up his products with an "old school type approach". VK is listing them at $2250.

Pros: Beautifully styled unit, built like a tank, great feature set, nice range in tonal variations, and most important, a gorgeous sound! As I mentioned above, the lighted switching is very nice. A very versatile and well priced unit. You can also customize it with NOS tubes! I ordered mine with a pair of Mullards.

Cons: Possibly, a pair of line level xlr's would've been nice. However, you can easily run stereo feed though the 1/4" DI's.

Attached Thumbnails
Lachapell Audio 983s-s1051088.jpg  

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Lachapell Audio 983s
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search