The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moog MF-104M Analog Delay

Moog Music Moogerfooger MF-104M Analog Delay

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

The greatest analog delay on earth?

23rd August 2012

Moog Music Moogerfooger MF-104M Analog Delay by VST

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25

So I wanted an external delay but I had some stipulations that needed to be met. I wanted midi sync, it's got it. I wanted tap tempo, it's got it. I wanted the ability to modulate the delay time, it's got it in spades; not only can you use an expression pedal or standard CV signals, it has a wonderful built in LFO with 7 waveforms. You can even sync the LFO to midi or tap tempo. It's overkill in the best sort of way. I also wanted a unit that would hold it's value in the marketplace, something digital effects can have a hard time doing.

Let's talk about the sound. There are huge differences between the sound of analog and digital delays and both have their merits. I'll talk about the benefits of this analog unit. No digital artifacts. You can warp the controls on this pedal very severely and never have those annoying zippering or other tell tale digital affectations, the 104m can introduce artifacts at extreme settings but they are always lush and pleasant imo. The gain structure is amazing, you can feed it really hot signals and it will sound great all they way up to its pleasant analog overdrive. The general delay sound is deep and brooding, not crisp and clean like digital. You have to accept this as a benefit. You hear this benefit most on a guitars or other inherently bright instruments. On lowpass filtered synthesizers or bass guitars however, the delay becomes quite subtle. It's a sound that many digital delays go to great lengths to replicate, some better than others.

I do wish I could dial in a shorter delay time than the minimum of 40ms. 10-20ms is more to my liking, but doing that would require a different BBD chip, thus shortening the wonderful 800ms at it longest setting. In general I think it's a solid compromise.

In closing, I don't think this unit can replace a studios' digital utilitarian delays, it's not supposed to (it has no reverse, no stereo, no clean looping, etc.), what you get instead is a solo instrument in and of itself. Combine that with a rock solid build, complete transparency, full midi control of every parameter including many under the hood features I didn't even mention and tone and control you simply can't fully replicate with digital delays. I think this could be the crowning jewel in the world of increasingly rare bucket brigade delays. I'm not sure how you could de-throne it really.

Have fun and always record.

4 weeks ago

Moog Music Moogerfooger MF-104M Analog Delay by fuzulu

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75

This thing can bring joy to you for years...

When Moog released this I thought this is something interesting which I have to try out as I have never used an analog delay and I was always curious about the history of this effect, after all echo / delay is one of the most important, fun and most useful effects in music production, and it was interesting to know the origins of this effect as opposed to only using software variants of it, from tape delay, to roland space echoes, to bucket brigade delays... what were the older delays like?

So I had a chance to check out this one, a real bucket brigade delay, after seeing some online videos and reviews I was all in knowing that its a limited run and its going to be my only chance to try something like this for a while...

This pedal is built beautifully and super sturdily, I think its impossible to break this thing, its like a tank, it has the best, smoothest (but also with weight) knobs you are going to find and its packed with loads of features which Im not going to get into but you can easily find, just check the other review here...

The effect of it is very different from what I was used to from plugins, plugin delays are a lot brighter and come through easily in the mix, and let me assure you that this is not going to do what your software delays do, it cannot replace that, also its a mono unit, but what it has is a really unique and amazing sound which will land a huge smile on your face the first time you hear it. Beautiful warm, smooth and timeless sound, you will be playing with this thing for hours and hours and wont know where the time went and that in itself is worth the price for me, I would say the most fun is when you actually play any instrument into it, guitars, synths, keyboard, you name it, you will have endless fun jamming with this... but it also excels as an audio tool for creating a sound in a production, bizarre effects, its own unique delays, and many times you will find that sweet spot which will take your song to another level.

So all in all, most people will tell you that you would be crazy to spend this kind of money on a mono delay, but its something you should try for yourself and decide.

I have zero complaints in this review, I honestly cannot find a fault in it.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search