The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
McONE Passive Monitoring Controller

New Old Sound ltd McONE

3.75 3.75 out of 5, based on 4 Reviews

Passive Monitoring Controller

21st August 2012

New Old Sound ltd McONE by vasy100

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

If you need a simple, inexpensive solution for your studio monitoring – McONE is the answer. Assembled from quality parts in a nice desktop box, with common monitoring functions McONE will not change your sound in the least. There are no active parts at all and no power supply. Balanced ¼'' TRS sockets on the back panel provide easy connections to your sources and studio monitoring system. A big Volume knob on a carefully selected potentiometer gives a pleasant operational feeling.

Features:

3 input
3 output
Balanced ¼'' TRS connections to sources and monitoring system
Stereo/Mono switch
Mute/Unmute switch
All Passive, no power supply needed
Compact desktop enclosure

Technical Specifications

Input impedance 10kOhm
Output impedance 5-10kOhm (Depends on your monitor impedance)
Dimension Wx19.4mm Dx15.2mm Hx80.8mm

18th May 2015

New Old Sound ltd McONE by Firebirdv2

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

The McOne is a simple and very effective monitor controller. 3 Stereo 1/4" inputs and outputs, Mono/Stereo switch, Mute Switch, and a big volume knob.

All the knobs are retained with 2 allen screws, are hard plastic and have metal overlays on top. The volume knob is also perfectly circular! That may be nothing to some but an oval knob bugs me.

The silk screening is great, almost too nice for a volume controller, and the wood sides are also nicer than expected, I'm not sure what wood they used but I dig it.

HOW IT SOUNDS: Like nothing. It's great. I have the pot version as recommended for my use and it sounds consistent throughout and has no sweet spot.

It was easy to integrate and has proven a good investment in my eyes due to its clear sound and robust I/O. I feel it's great for producers, mixers, home mastering, and Dj's even for using small speakers vs the PA; essentially anyone who needs consistent monitoring and likes to use multiple pairs of speakers and inputs. (TV out to the mains)

Attached Thumbnails
McONE Passive Monitoring Controller-img_1708.jpg  
25th June 2017

New Old Sound ltd McONE by auralart

• Sound Quality 1 out of 5
  • Ease of use 1 out of 5
  • Features 1 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 1 out of 5
  • Overall: 1

Horrible product. Unreliable and plagued with all kinds of issues. I would not recommend this to anyone who is looking for a professional-grade monitor controller.

Image drift, grounding issues, pops, signal leakage, etc.

There's a reason why it's so cheap.

26th June 2017

New Old Sound ltd McONE by scottu

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

I needed a simple and great sounding monitor controller for my writing room.

The build quality is awesome. Every knob and switch feels great and solid to use. Wish I needed to change the volume more often, the knob feels so nice to operate! It sounds like nothing, which is what most people seem to want in a monitor controller; no coloration of the sound. The wood side panels I got are really gorgeous. A nice touch on an inexpensive item.

My only sound issue with it is that the mute switch doesn't seem to mute entirely. Not a feature I use often, but still something you'd rather not see. You can still hear some sound. It acts more like a -50dB dim. I'm only using two of the outputs though, so I just switch it to the empty third one and that completely mutes the controller for me. Still, something to know.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search