Triton Audio D2O Tube-Fet 500 V1

4.75 4.75 (1 Reviews)
Excellent Tube pre with character and class!
Triton Audio D2O Tube-Fet 500 V1

Published by jdnpdi on 31st May 2012
User Review
Sound Quality
5 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.75 4.75
TritonAudio D2O Tube-Fet 500 V1

Intro

I took a chance on the Triton D2O V1. I was looking for a tube pre to add to my newly formed collection of 500 series preamps. V1 of the D2O came as either a Tube-Fet version or a Fet version. Just to be clear this is the Tube-Fet version of this pre.

Features

You can check out the website for a more detailed description of the features, but let me go through them to the best of my ability. The gain is handled by a 12 stepped attenuator. It's awesome to have it stepped, make is easier to recall settings! At the top you have a push button switch for Transformer Ratio selection 1:5 or 1:1.2, that switch also changes the input impedance. Next is the polarity reverse. Then a 60 db or 50 db switch, 50 db for louder sources and 60 db if you need all available gain from the pre. And lastly the phantom power switch in which there is a green led to indicate that it is present. The tube inside is not a 12AX7, it's a smaller sub-miniature tube, never the less it still gets a little of that tube transient smoothness and warmth.

Sound

I have to admit, I was a little disappointed setting this up with a AT3060 condenser on a Roland Jazz chorus amp. I thought the sound would give the that jazz tone I was looking for. Instead I found it bland, unflattering and quite frankly too wooly. Not at all to my liking. I instead decided to put it on vocal duties. I was just tracking some scratch ideas and used a MD421, bass rolled off on the mic, then into this pre. Wow! Warmth, articulation, smoothness, nice top end! I couldn't believe I was getting this good a sound out of the 421 and Triton combo. Again, perfect for this tenor/baritone vocalist. I did test out the difference between the different ratios and I seems to like the lower 1:1.2 ratio for vox. A little smoother, less of a bite.

Next session, I wanted to see what it could do on the drums overheads. I've always hated the sound I get out of the drum overheads, I just can't seem to get them right. When I slapped the D2O on a 3060's, best overhead sound I've ever got. I love the way the pre slightly compresses the snare and cymbals, and the cymbals didn't sound overly harsh. Normally I wouldn't dream of using the 3060 for overheads, now I'm sold on this combo. I have attached a sample of the drum overhead sound, click on the paperclip on the review main page to download it.

One gripe I do have about the pre is that when switching from the 60 to 50 and vice versa, there is a loud pop. But other than that I love this pre!

Conclusion

This is an excellent pre of the money. I love the unique features and the stepped attenuator. I gave it a 9 out of 10 on features because I would have liked a way to switch the 60-50 db without a loud pop. I dig the vibe and color of this pre. It has been, in my opinion, a life saver. In future projects I can't wait to try it on acoustic guitar and you can be sure it will be on vocals and on the drums.
Attached Files Song4 OH.wav (5.96 MB, 172 views)
Last edited by jdnpdi; 19th June 2012 at 06:14 AM.. Reason: Misspelled the company name
Topic:

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search