The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mackie Big Knob
3.95 3.95 out of 5, based on 5 Reviews

Mackie Big Knob is small, compact, yet powerful DAW monitor swtitching/talkback/headphones controller for your project studio on the budget.

9th April 2012

Mackie Big Knob by Rokus666

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Mackie Big Knob

Overview

As you know, lot of today's recording studios are sizing down and downgrading in its size. Lot of big and bulky mixing boards are discarded from studios and replaced with smaller devices that have similar monitoring functions. If you are on the medium budget, and want monitor/talkback controller, Mackie Big Knob will do the job and take it even further in its functionality and features.

Workflow

Since there is no board in your studio, Mackie Big Knob will provide you with the workflow of any large format console master/talkback channel.
There is also a mono switch which makes it really useful to switch your mix without going through complicated steps. Three input sources and phono input makes this controller stand out from its competition. Two headphone outs with option of sending custom headphone mix makes this device even more flexible. Studio outs will serve as another output with level control which could be used to take a pair of speakers to your tracking room. And definitely, input level meter comes in handy.

My Home Studio

I have purchased Mackie Big Knob exactly four years ago. Ever since then, it was used as a master DAW/talkback, headphone/monitor controller. It is pretty sturdy in construction. Great thing about it is that it has 3 monitor outs. I have been using two speaker and a subwoofer combination. Level control on the monitor output makes it easy to equal the volumes of the monitor for easier monitoring. All of Big Knob's features are constantly used and I can not imagine my workflow without it.

Cons

One of the biggest "flaws" in its design is that cables are sticking out from your desktop. To some people, this is not very esthetically pleasing.
Another con to note, and that is over time, the dust particles will enter inside the buttons and create static noises when button is depressed. Naturally, if some buttons are not used (Like DAW mix input for example) you will have to jiggle the button and clean it from dust. It could get annoying sometimes.

Overall

This device is a bang for the buck for its features and functionality and the sturdy construction makes it excellent device for your project studio.

10th April 2012

Mackie Big Knob by Scott003

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Mackie Big Knob

Have one of these at the college radio stationed I'm involved with. It works well for what we need.

Pros:
On par with usual Mackie quality
Enough I/O to accomplish monitoring workflow
Mad easy to adjust (the knob is big)
Trim knobs for inputs on rear panel
Good size for function

Cons:
Not overpriced, but not really bargain
Not the best choice for really transparent monitor control

7th July 2012

Mackie Big Knob by jcc449

• Sound Quality 2 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 2 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.5
Mackie Big Knob

Big Knob under my experience, it's a great thing for any beginner.
but as you going into deeper pro level, this device soon become a bug for you.
I experienced some accidental distortion, static noise from Big Knob which can cause a lot of mis-judge especially when you are editing sound.

SO if you are doing EDITING FOR SERIOUS, then don't choose BIG KNOB.
if you are a music arrange, and small noise and mistake is okay for ya, then , yes BIG KNOB is alright for you.

10th July 2012

Mackie Big Knob by grahamrunsran

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.5
Mackie Big Knob

Really cool piece of gear that kind of set off the home studio control product category.

If you're serious about your craft, and can afford it, the CraneSong Avocet is the only way to go.

Dangerous Audio makes some pretty decent stuff as well, but when it comes down to it, if your D to A doesn't sound fantastic (The Avocets sure as anything does), a monitor switcher isn't nearly as useful.

28th June 2014

Mackie Big Knob by GYang

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.75
Mackie Big Knob

As written before, it is fairly good starter monitoring control switcher.
I use it as my synths monitoring router separated from main monitoring system that is based around Dave Hill Avocet.

Compared to high end products it is clear that both low freq resolution lacks dynamics, as well as, higher frequencies are bit sharp and unrounded.

Good set of features and acceptable price.