1st April 2012

AKG K240 Studio by Itsgrandzbaby

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
AKG K240 Studio

"Reliable, comfortable, and totally accurate" is how Sweetwater describes these semi-open studio headphones. I could not have said it better myself. I have been through a fair share of headphones in the 50-100 dollar range and I must say that these are on the top of my list.

The biggest plus about these headphones is the design. Of course they are not the most Appealing headphones in the world but as far as comfort goes, these are top notch. The sound on the headphones is not the flattest I have heard, but they are definitely very detailed. The slightly hypes Hi-end can also give you a feel of how your audience will listen to your mix. The only downfall, that I have noticed, is the wide headband which causes a problem when you want to rest the headphones on your neck while you reference on monitors.

I would definitely recommend these headphones to anyone looking in this price range.

1st April 2012

AKG K240 Studio by soundmark

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 2 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.75
AKG K240 Studio

I have had many pro headphones in my commercial studio for many years.

My N/DYM Sonys always worked for my drummers.

These AKG's are what I am most comfortable as a musician when tracking with. No fatigue, warm engaging low end and not too bright to make me paranoid. Likes a powerful headphone amp (Rane HC6 sounds solid).

These get my highest recommendation based on experience for tracking most musicians, unless they have hearing issues...then kill em with the Sony's.

20 hours ago

AKG K240 Studio by micropho6ia

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
AKG K240 Studio

As these still seem to be available new I figured a contemporary review might be in order.

The bottom line is that they are very comfortable, with a large round cup and a good driver/weight ratio. I like the sound band and find it nice and even. They are comfortable to listen to (and wear) for production/mixing session for hours on end.

The presence, for me was so good, I once took them off to find out which of my speakers was left on, and realized that the 'phones were 'projecting' a high-mid sound seemingly a meter in front of me.

There seems to be a lot of audiowank around headphones with some people appearing to projectile vomit if handed an inferior headphone incapable of producing clear waves many Hz above or below what my (or many other humans I suspect) humble ears can actually hear (and I used to be able to hear those rodent repeller things).

Each to their own, and obviously what works for some doesn't for others. So far be it for me to tell anyone that these will sound great, but for me they fit well, are easy on the outer, and inner, ear and I have been very happy with them.

6 minutes ago

AKG K240 Studio by Sound-Guy

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
AKG K240 Studio

I'll add my 2 cents (pence) worth since I have four pairs of 240's including two 600 Ohm units I've had for over 35 years and two Austrian made 55 Ohm units. I use one pair every day in my studio, but before COVID I often used another pair for a client musician while tracking. Although many people say open/semi-open headphones are not usable for tracking, they work fine if you don't try to blow out the user's eardrums (not a good thing to do to a client) unless they want to damage their own hearing and add some bleed to the recording.

As the others have stated, these are comfortable and "accurate" though no headphone is perfectly flat (see Sonarworks web site). They do not hype the low end which means bass is not a brain-damaging boom-boom, and they are extremely revealing. Although all four pairs I own are Austrian made, today new ones are made in China.

I must admit I prefer the sound of the 600 Ohm units although the headband spring/cord height tension has relaxed from age and much use, but they still sit on my head/ears OK. The sound difference could be due to the different impedances, although the headphone outputs of my Focusrite interface have no trouble driving either model to high enough levels with no audible distortion.

Today AKG headphones are not made in Austria, but you may find a good used pair that were -- I'm not selling any of mine, but you may find an Austrian pair if you search.

Note that if you find a 600 Ohm pair, they were made in Austria. They have a non-replaceable cable with a large 1/4-inch TRS plug and are black and gray. They need a "pro-level" voltage output to drive to a reasonable level.

The newer 55 Ohm units are gold-toned and black, and come with a 10-foot (3-meter) detachable mini XLR to 3.5mm cable, and a 6.3mm adapter. Earlier ones were still made in Austria, then I believe in Slovakia and now China.

BTW I paid nearly $200 each for the 600 Ohm units and over $100 for the 55 Ohm pairs, so at $50 to $70 I'd rate them a bargain.

I've never used any of the new China built units but a friend who is not an audio engineer bought a pair to listen to classical music and loves them.

Pros
Very affordable
Excellent detailed sound for mixing
Useful for tracking in a quiet studio/control room
Comfortable

Cons
Bass extension is not useful if you like booming bass
Very little isolation from outside sounds

https://www.akg.com/Headphones/Profe...LOBAL-Current&
cgid=Professional%20Headphones#start=1