31st March 2012

IK Multimedia Amplitube 5 by spiral

• Sound Quality 3 out of 5
  • Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 2 out of 5
  • Overall: 3
Amplitube 3

I am a little baffled at why this software is so popular. Is it because it was first?

I just started getting into amp simulations for clean Fender tones and had the most experience with GarageBand and Logic’s built in amp simulations. These sound pretty good considering they are bundled with the software. Lately Logic’s “Amp Designer” was my go to amp sim but wanted something with a little more air and realism so decided to try the free Amplitube demo which includes some Fender clones. To be perfectly honest i was not impressed at all considering Amplitube only does amp modelling. For clean Fender tones, Logic’s free “Guitar Amp Pro” was far more realistic and had a clearer, more detailed sound.

Installing Amplitube was also a pain as it involved downloading the software which you then have to create an account and authorize it online. The interface was also confusing since there is also a “shop” which is somewhat disconnected from the plugin interface. Once i did get a Fender amp on the track the sound was muddy but could tweak it with EQ. The most disappointing part was how CPU-hungry just this one plug was on my Macbook Pro (C2D)! I use tracks with virtual instruments and synths which obviously build up but with only 5-8 tracks they only register about 15-20% on the CPU load meter, at the worst. With Amplitube, it would add 10-15% of load per track. I regularly use 4 tracks of guitars so using over 50% of my processor on 4 tracks of guitars is really not an option. Frankly, i switched back to Logic’s Guitar Amp Pro and find it sounds better than both Amplitube and Amp Designer and is extremely processor efficient.

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search