Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.5 4.5
UBK Fatso

The UBK Fatso is a beautiful, intuitive compressor which could just be the most vital piece of gear I own. Made in America by Empirical Labs, the UBK Fatso is modified by Kush Audio to the specifications of producer Greg Scott, also known on forums as UBK. The Fatso is an incredibly versatile unit consisting of, a tape emulation circuit, and compressor, a high-frequency reduction circuit labelled “warmth”, a compressor and a switchable output transformer. The tape emulation is always on and is level dependent, and brings a fantastic drive sound. The “comfy” LED indicates harmonics are being added, and this can be just the thing to bring out crunch on drums - try it on snare or kick. The “warmth” circuit is also level dependent and helps tame extreme high frequencies above a threshold set by the cyclical warmth button. The high the warmth setting the lower the high frequency reduction threshold in both volume and frequency terms. This means that on a low setting only the very highest frequencies are attenuated at the highest threshold. The compressor section relies on selectable presets which dictate that preset’s ratio, attack and release settings, and threshold. There’s a good range of sounds to be had here, a particular favorite of mine being the ‘BUSS’ setting, which I use, as suggested over the main mix. The final feature to be played with is the inserts. As the compressor section relies on preset threshold values, there appears to be no way to set up the warmth circuit without also affecting the compression amount. However, if a volume reducing device (preamp, EQ, or passive volume controller) is connected to the inserts it becomes possible to separate these two functions, as the inserts work between the warmth circuit and compressor circuits. The versatility and sheer number of high quality signal modifying features of the UBK Fatso surely makes this a great unit for any studio.
By alchey on 13th March 2012
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Overall: 4 4
Kush Audio Fatso UBK

By Micah421 on 31st March 2012
User review
Sound Quality
5 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.5 4.5
UBK Kush Audio FATSO

Such an amazing piece of gear. It's lots of fun to just throw anything threw it, ANYTHING. I've used it for tracking and tons for mixing. It really does just make everything sound better. If I could give anyone advice if they were considering purchasing one, I'd say READ THE MANUAL. Really study it and understand how this piece of equipment works. Its designed to be simple but it really, imho, can be an amazing tool if you really understand what each preset is actually doing so you can apply it to your situation, weather its mixing or tracking. Its a great product and I love the trapfo feature, tape saturation and the color. One thing to keep in mind is the "warmth" feature is actually limiting anything above , I believe, the 5k range. I love that you have the control to adjust, in steps, how much you want your signal to start limiting the high end. really cool especially on OH's to keep the cymbals under control. My ONLY disappointment is that when you link the channels together only the bypass/trapfo function is linked. I wish it linked the preset and also the warmth generator(warmth always makes me think of tubes). I think no one who owns this regrets it, you really never see used ones for sale, that's always a great sign! If your on the fence, GET IT!!!
Topic:

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search