The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fender Twin

Fender TWIN

4.25 4.25 out of 5, based on 1 Review

An amazing and epic guitar amplifier.

30th March 2012

Fender TWIN by Mark_Andrasko

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25

I LOVE this guitar amp. I have the '94 Twin sometimes referred to as the "Evil Twin". That said. I played through a Crate before I saved up for this amp so needless to say it was an incredible improvement. I've had the Twin for three years now and use it every weekend to play in a classic rock cover band while also using it to record in my studio.

A lot of reviews praise the clean guitar and harp on the stock distortion of the Fender Twin. While the clean IS immaculate (I play a Fender 60's Player Classic Strat and to my ears a Fender Strat through Fender Twin is THE way to get ultimate clean tone) I have found the stock distortion to be quite useable.

But in my experience it the tone of the Twin completely depends on the type of guitar you're playing.

Fender Strat through Fender Twin clean = amazing, godlike tone.
Fender Strat through Fender Twin with stock distortion = useable but not very impressive.

However. I have a Les Paul style Schecter guitar that absolutely shines when played with the Twin distortion. I can obtain a very classic rocky, AcDc-ish crunchy yet juicy tone. It's gorgeous. However again. That same Les Paul becomes clunky and ponderous when played clean.

For recording purposes I can get all the tones I want out of the Twin (except metal). Strat for clean. Les Paul for dirty. Live, I was forced to sacrifice one for the other until I picked up T-Rex's Yellow Drive whose distortion makes my Fender Strat absolutely sing through Fender Twin.

I rated the features a 7 because I feel the Twin's footswitch could be improved on. Other amps in the Twin's price range have clean, two dirties, a boost for each channel, and an eq on/off while my Twin just has clean, two dirties, and reverb.

In conclusion. So many guitars, amps, and pedals to choose from! If you want epic clean get a Twin. You'll still have options to make the dirty work.

p.s. Yes. At 75 lbs it IS a bitch to carry around from gig to gig and all the old timers will go "Geez!" when they see you lugging it around from show to show but it's worth it

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Fender Twin
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search