The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal audio 710 twin finity

Universal Audio 710 Twin-Finity

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 11 Reviews

MIC PREAMP TUBE AND SOLID STATE WITH TONE BLENDING

7th March 2012

Universal Audio 710 Twin-Finity by nick-the-sax

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

this is a bit of a strange beast of a preamp. On the one hand, it has versatility and options; plenty of useful options like Pad, phase, etc. and then there's the "Blend" option that allows a tube to make its way into the circuit (more on that later). But on the other hand, for me, it's just not all that versatile...

The blend control can allow for some great tonal possibilities. when i record sax, i put it on the tube setting which adds a lovely bit of old-school warmth which compliments the sound of the sax very nicely. when i DI a bass in, i put it on the transformer setting, which gives it a bit more of a solid punch. This is a fantastic pre when you find the right instrument / application for it. It really adds something to the signal, and in the best possible way. It's the 710 and the Daking mic pre One that are my go-to pres for recording Sax and acoustic guitar.

It's very easy to use and to get a good sound. I do a lot of remote saxophone session work and most of the time i end up using the 710 with the dial set to "Tube". The best way to describe the sound is clear and defined, but with a slight underlying warmth below the surface that makes the instrument easy to mix, but also a soft fatness. For female vocals, it can tame / round off any harsh top end (including that from a hyped microphone) and give a nice clear mid. The same goes with guitars, both acoustic and electric.

I have only a couple of gripes. the first is that the bottom end is not always particularly tight and can be a little unwieldy when compared to more high-end pres such as Daking's. but this is very subtle and is unlikely to cause any problems. The other problem is that if recording something classical, or something that needs to be very clean, such as violin, bass drum or even overheads, it seems to dull them a little. There isn't really much of a sparkle to this pre and the sound can feel like it has a ceiling, rather than an open top.

Overall, this pre has a great versatile sound, almost "vintage" on the tube, and very solid and modern on the transformer... combining these is a fantastic feature. If recording bright sources that may need a bit of extra warmth, or looking for a good bit of character, this is a great pre to try out. I have this on channel 1 and is my first port of call for most sources and can span many musical styles and feels.

22nd March 2012

Universal Audio 710 Twin-Finity by don_miguel

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

The Universal Audio is one of the biggest names in the high end audio industry, so i was very excited when I ordered their new gear, the Twin Finity 710 hybrid mono mic preamp and DI. It comes with a power supply cable, a user manual and some very usefull charts where you can draw the settings that you use during the recording session and write some extra information, so you can recall your settings even years later. On the front panel you can find the DI input and some basic switchers: power, phase, 75 Hz low cut filter (wich is very usefull, when you want to roll off some low frequency noise), the phantom power, mic/line selector, the 15 dB pad and the metering mode selector. The most important thing is the knob in t he centre. With this knob you can mix the vintage tube sound with the extra clean and modern solid state sound, and this that makes this gear extremly versatile. Even if you want your record to sound warm and heavy (for example basses or vocals) or keep it crystal clear or even if you want both, you can make it with the blending knob!I have no more tell about the sound, it’s absolutelly Universal Audio! In my opinion for most cases teh solid state sound with some tube blending is a perfect combination. This mic preamp is an absolute studio standard quality in sound, design and appereance. The friendly low price makes it available for a smaller home studio,so don’t waste your time! Go and get one!

26th March 2012

Universal Audio 710 Twin-Finity by brenden

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5

Smooth preamp,..
with tone-blending between transistor and valve stages.
Extremely versatile, balancing the input stage and the tone blending is infinitely controllable and will handle a load of input with a tasteful result. Adds the right amount of meat to bass, vocals, or any direct analogue source.
Direct frontal trs for instrument input (priority switched input) , XLRmic and line rear inputs,..clean, compact, well priced and constantly in use !
All the specs are on the Universal Audio site 710 Twin-Finity™ Tone-Blending Mic Preamplifier & DI Box | Universal Audio

27th March 2012

Universal Audio 710 Twin-Finity by michaelsaladis

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5

The twinfinity's option to switch between tube and solid-state is absolutely amazing. With just the turn of a knob I can dial in some grit and warmth, or add bite and clarity, making it extremely versatile. I use it on everything, Bass, Vocals, Electric Guitar, you name it, and it treats everything just right. I crank up the tube on Vox for some noticeable coloration that really pushes them up front and gives them some air. For Bass, I bring the blend knob more towards the solid-state side for that transient bite which makes the track naturally aggressive. This feature pretty much sold the unit for me as I was looking to get the most I possibly could for my money without sacrificing professional quality, being on a home studio kind of budget and all. It allows me to get a much more polished sound from the start- a life saver in a small studio where every increase in sound quality counts! Couldn't really ask for more from it, all of the features you'd expect on a professional quality pre-amp plus twinfinity technology in a 3-knob, easy to use, vintage-style interface. Also, it's got a super convenient Hi-Z input on the front for quick instrument direct-in and what not. My favorite piece of gear in my studio! Great job UA!

28th March 2012

Universal Audio 710 Twin-Finity by jerjabs

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75

I've had the UA 710 Twin-Finity for a couple of years now and haven't found anything it doesn't record well. The 710 is a single channel mic pre that allows the user to control and direct the signal through a tube path or solid state path, and anywhere in between. The guys at Universal Audio have come up with a design, more specifically, a blend knob to achieve this effortlessly. Set the blend knob hard left, and your signal follows a remarkably clean solid state path. Turn the blend knob hard right for a smooth tube enhanced tone. Set the knob to 2 o'clock and get a blend favoring the tube side and so on. This in itself opens up almost limitless coloration possibilities. Each path can be gently driven with the gain knob to achieve subtle warmth, or pushed hard into an aggressive distortion. The 710 is also capable of obtaining beautiful clean tones with that top end sparkle, Universal Audio pres have made famous for years.

I myself love it on vocals, as it really brings out the subtle characteristics of a nice microphone. It also acts as a VERY solid bass DI, again letting the tone be shaped and molded by the tone blending feature. Friends of mine use it on overheads and acoustic guitars and enjoy the results.

The meters are accurate and with nice added features such as a 15db pad, low cut filter as well as a phase inverter, the Twin-Finity is versatile addition to any studio. It has been to mine.

29th March 2012

Universal Audio 710 Twin-Finity by Jessiefrank

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5

I use her on everything. I get addicted to trying new toys on everything I'm recording, especially when they work every time. I haven't experienced a single moment when I think, "I shouldn't used this." I use her on snare, and her bit one 12 o'clock mark on the tube/transistor works great. I found goin full tube on bass sounds great too...and to my surprise, I been tracking vocals full transistor resulting in clean and crispy takes, guitar sounds amazing too...i love it. And the tube helps it from clipping for some reason....I like the tone I get from this little bugger. I shoulda bought the 4 channel version, it comes with compressors on it and it's more of a bargain. Oh well, I'm still happy with her!

30th March 2012

Universal Audio 710 Twin-Finity by DBG10

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5

I HAVE TRIED MENY MICPRE'S OVER THE YEARS BUT HAVE FOUND THAT THEY FALL SHORT OF WHAT THEIR SUPPOSED TO DO IE MAKE MICROPHONES SOUND
SWEETER, BETTER! I HAVE BEEN USING UA'S PLUG IN'S AND THEY ARE GREAT
THEY DO WHAT THEIR TO DO. SO WHY NOT TRY SOME UA HARDWARE GLAD I
DID. I HAVE A OLD GROVE TUBE MIC (MODEL 5sm) USED IT FOR YEARS ALWAYS SOUNDED WELL. I PLUGED IT IN TO MY NEW TWIN FINITY AND WOW!!
JUST LIKE A NEW MIC!! OPEN WARM SMOOTH UP AND DOWN THE FREQUENCY RANGE.
RECORED SOME POWER CHORDS THREW AN EGNATER AMP REALLY SOUNDED FULL AND VERY ACCURATE. ALL THE CONTROLS ARE STRAIGHT FORWARD, THE BEST THING IS GOING FROM ALL TUBE TO A SOLID STATE , TWO MICPRE'S IN ONE! MAKE THE CHOICE ALSO BUILT VERY SOLID. NEXT I RE-AMPED A BAD BASS TRACK THREW THE TWIN FINITY. IT PREFORMED WELL USING THE ALL TUBE SIDE SMOOTH AND WIDE SOUNDING. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR THE HIGH END MICPRE THAT GIVES YOU THE HIGH END STUDIO SOUND WITH OUT THE OVER $$COST. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND
THE 710 TWIN FINITY. CK IT OUT ON LINE.

30th March 2012

Universal Audio 710 Twin-Finity by monoman76

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4

I was looking for a preamp to upgrade my main studio pres ( presonus digimax fs) and to have one with charakter. I tried a lot of preamps but they all were not flexible enough for me. Till i found the 710. Wow what a tool. It sounds amazing. The blend knob is very cool. It is not a steam hammer but it has soul and mojo. Everything is onboard what you expect.
I tried it with a lot of different mics. I like it the most with an sure sm 57 for snare(yes for snare) or an sennheiser md 421 for guitars. Great.
If you looking for an upgrade for your studio pres...go for the 710.

27th June 2012

Universal Audio 710 Twin-Finity by tridelica

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25

I performed an a/b test between the Twinfinity - set all the way to 'tube' - and a very well respected solid state pre that is known by its 3 initials.
My signal chain into either pre was: male vocal -> SM7B -> Cloudlifter -> Pre -> API 527 -> Converter.
The Twinfinity beat the high-end solid state pre.
On the UA, I had the Gain set to about 7.5 and the Output set to about 7.5, and the vocal, compared to the solid state pre, sounded deeper, clearer and richer, with its transients rounded (all-tube setting).
I actually was rather disappointed with the solid state pre. And, I have to admit, I don't like fast transients, especially on vocals.
I think that a big factor in preferring the UA, is that, with the UA, I can drive the tube hard by using the gain knob.
The Twinfinity is a great value for the money. When this topography came out as a four-amp rack mount version, I knew my purchasing decision had been vindicated.
Perhaps tubes do rule.
As a note: I almost always use the UA set all the way to 'tube.'
The solid-state side kind of bores me.

27th June 2012

Universal Audio 710 Twin-Finity by Rob Coates

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 1 out of 5
  • Overall: 4

The UA 710 Twin Finity is a great sounding preamp but cheaply made. Painted plastic faceplate, and rather flimsy construction overall. A much, much better deal is the Alctron MP-100. It's exactly the same design but the Alctron has a real, thick aluminum faceplate, better spec components, a really handy handle on top, headphone jack on the front, better overall construction and best of all, is about half the price of the UA 710. They come up for sale every once in a while on eBay. There is one on eBay right now that's in the U.S. for sale.

2nd September 2013

Universal Audio 710 Twin-Finity by thelowcrow

• Sound Quality 3 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25

I got this preamp, mostly because I got a free UAD2 Solo card with it which would be my foray into the UAD world.

This is the only tube preamp I have in my rack, and so it does get some use, but I have found it to be relatively noisy and a bit overly bright. When I need that tonality, it us useful, but it is hardly a go-to pre for me. The FET side is too sizzly for most of what I record, acoustic music, and the tube side is not as "warm" as I'd like.

I have used it as a mixdown device for adding distortion, but I really just like other devices more for that purpose.

Ultimately, I don't know how much longer it's going to stay in my rack.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search