The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD EP-34 Tape Echo

Universal Audio EP-34 Tape Echo

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

Tape echo ITB

29th March 2012

Universal Audio EP-34 Tape Echo by Wesma

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
UAD EP-34 Tape Echo

This delay plugin is very nice for a lot of things when mixing and you can really get creative and get some very cool sounds out of this plug. I use it a lot on vocals both for very short and for longer delays. It really blends great with just about anything and the sound is truly analog with nice saturation and subtle wow and flutter sounds. I love the sound of the plug going almost into self oscillation – sounds just like a real tape echo to me.
My favorite use for this plug is on electric and acoustic guitar. Great for a short slapback effect and just amazing for long beautiful delays. Gives a very nice sense of space. The echo tone section is a great feature to quickly mold the sound to fit the arrangement. You also have pan which could come in handy. This is one of those plug-ins that you just love to do real time automations with. I really get a great feel when I use it in conjunction with a hardware controller.

Of all of the UAD plug-ins, this is one of my favorites. The only downside for me with this plugin is that it eats up a lot of DSP power from the card.

29th March 2012

Universal Audio EP-34 Tape Echo by John Davis

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
UAD EP-34 Tape Echo

+1 on that. You can use this very subtly so that you wouldn't necc notice it, or push it until it's readily identifiable. It projects very powerfully and rarely if ever makes things sound remote or muddy.

Sometimes the Echo Plex sounds cleaner to me than UAD's Space Echo plug in in a way that makes me turn to the RE-201 instead. I often find myself wanting to play with the controls in real time as if it were a synthesizer, especially the horizontal one across the top, which produces great overtones when the time values are changed that don't appear when you run it flat on one setting. I'm really looking forward to working with this with the new UAD Apollo interface, which allows for real time processing.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... UAD EP-34 Tape Echo
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search