The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chandler Limited TG2

Chandler Ltd TG2 Pre Amp/DI

4.9 4.9 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

Abbey Road Special Edition

28th March 2012

Chandler Ltd TG2 Pre Amp/DI by analog men

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Chandler Limited TG2

What a fantastic preamp.

There is a world of different mic preamp out there.
And I think that there are two main classes.
The clean, uncolored and flat mic preamps, wich transmits your sound without any tonal or character changes, and there’s the mic preamps that can give personality, taste and tonal coloration to the sound.

This one is in the second category.
Some can give a harsh character, other can give a crackling saturation, more or less headroom, more or less attack, more or less high or low end, etc.

But this one!... It gives a lot to the signal, but only in a positive way!

It’s direct comparison that I use is the Universal Audio 2108.
Same configuration and options, but very different sound.
You can see my review on the 2108 at:
Universal Audio 2108

The TG2 is… how to say… Perfect..
Well… Perfect for that kind of sound, of course. (Colored)
It can goes from clean, creamy and VERY rich, to very dirty and saturated,
but always in a good way. I found it very “hot” for a solid state preamp.
It provides an excellent high end, without being over bright or harsh, and the lows are solid and thight.
It’s like a mix of an API precision, with the warmth of a Neve pre.

I use it everywhere, on everything.
Very punchy with the transients, with a very open tone.
Hard to say in words.
It sounds rich. Very rich.
Vocals are just incredible in this pre. Open and full.
Snares are big and fat, direct basses are detailed with plenty of “umf”, kicks sounds very “analog”.
The 2108 is pretty much all of that, but with a more “raw” character.
So depending on the session, I take one or the other...

I recommend this preamp A LOT.
If I had to bring only one premp on a desert island, It would probably be that one.

A bit heavy on the budget, but REALLY worth it.

30th October 2016

Chandler Ltd TG2 Pre Amp/DI by PRad

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Chandler Limited TG2

What a fantastic pre-amp. I'm a huge fan.

Sound Quality: When I first bought this pre-amp I was very green, and did so on the advice of a much more experienced professional. It was immediately apparent what an improvement it was over any other pre I had used to that point (UA 710, RNP, ART MPA etc etc).

Now I've had it for almost 10 years, used it almost daily and pitted it against other world class pre's and my appreciation for it's quality and sound has only increased.

Tons of clean clean gain, in any situation I've used it in.

It provides a lovely, subtle, dark, rich, and deep character to everything that passes thru it, I've found it especially beautiful on snare, bass, electric guitars, and vocals (when you want a richer, heavier timbre). I know it's may sound silly, but the sound of it reminds me damp loamy soil.

It saturates like butter, pushing forward (at least to me) low mids in a very pleasing way, even when it begins to get crunchy it never sounds brittle or dry.

The impedance switch is extremely valuable, offering you the chance to brighten up signal if the chandler feels too dark.

It does what it does very very very well.

Ease of Use: Easy - 2 dials and some buttons.

Features: It has all the features I need. I know some people would complain about the lack of a meter - but if you can't tell this unit is clipping without one you're probably on the wrong path

Bang For Buck: When you buy a Chandler rack unit, you'll also need to purchase a power supply - and each power supply powers two units.

I'd give it 5/5 if you buy TWO pairs, but only 4/5 if you buy one since the cost of the power supply is cut in half, instead of quartered among your channels.

All in all this is a luxurious piece of kit.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Chandler Limited TG2
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search