The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Motu 24 i/o

MOTU 24 I/O

3.5 3.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Can be a nice center of your studio with lots of analog I/O but without mic pres.

28th March 2012

MOTU 24 I/O by tone_rekooda

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.5
Motu 24 i/o

Yo mates,

Another interface review. This time I am going to discuss the MOTU 24 I/O including the PCIX-424.

You need one of those PCI Cards hooked into your computer to use the 24 I/O. The PCI Card has 4 sockets which are called “Audiowire”. That means you can hook up maximum 4 24 I/O at the same time.

Some gossip at first
We bought this interface including the old PCI 424 Card because we needed more I/O. We upgraded our studio with an old and used Soundcraft 6000 desk which doesn`t work until now… So our main purpose for this interface nowadays is to be the center of our studio where all our outboard gear is hooked up.

When we bought this gear we knew that we had to sell the old PCI 424 Card and get a newer version, the PCIX 424. Funny sidenote : We`ve paid for the newer card on ebay about the half of the price for which the old card was sold.

Build Quality
At first I thought it is well built. What else would you expect from an interface which doesn`t have a lot of knobs and so. But then we realized that the TRS are not picked up by the interface in a tight way what means it feels a little bit loose. We had some problems with several stereo outputs and we think that those loosely connected TRS are the reason. But ok, there are a lot of inputs

Connections, AD/DA
Well, that interface isn`t much more than 24 analog inputs and 24 analog outputs, so it`s straight forward in terms of possibilities. No mic pres, no ADAT. Just a Clock input and that Audiowire Jacket.
You can go up until 96kHz on all channels and the inputs are switchable (-10dB and +4dB).
The AD/DA is sounding decent, nothing special or exciting. For the money (we`ve bought it used) you get ok sounding AD/DA.
But it`s really cool hooking up all you outboard gear. We have some compressors around in the studio which are permanently wired to the interface. In Pro Tools we have named our sends regarding to the compressors and can choose the outboard gear for processing like normal plugins on the inserts. Very comfortable!

We are/were using another two interfaces in our studio, the Focusrite Pro 40 and Digidesign 003 Rack, and I don`t hear a big difference in conversion quality between those 3 interfaces. Which doesn`t mean that it`s over-good. They are ok. Ok. =)

Metering
On the front plate you have 24 LED meters for inputs and 24 LED meter for your outputs. In between them there is a little display which shows the sample rate. Actually I don`t trust the LED meters a lot because they are behaving sometimes a little bit strange.

Conclusion
I wouldn`t say it`s a bang for the buck per se. If you can buy it second hand at a good price maybe yeah. But new about €1100 … I don`t know.
But it does the job very well in our studio, it`s a nice center which eats and feeds audio from DAW to outboard gear. I like it although I am not so uber-hyped by it.

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search